Halle Racist? Is this how YOU see it??

Halle Berry says it point blank ... her daughter is Black -- a direct message to her ex Gabriel Aubry who, according to sources, "went nuts" anytime someone called Nahla Black.

Halle says in an upcoming interview with EBONY magazine, "I feel she's Black. I'm Black and I'm her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory." The one-drop rule was used during segregation to describe anyone who wasn't 100% Caucasian.

Ummm I find that disturbing.....and racist. What do you think? Is this how we should be labeling people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Entertainment

• Well considering she is half white herself I dont get it. She too sees herself as black. And she and others need to realize that if they want to get past racism and segregation then they should have a part too in letting it go. I dont think Gabriel should have gotten mad though. His daughter is part black. The key work is part. They both need to realize and accept that.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I dont really go for the one drop rule myself. I think we are all American and we would be hard pressed to find anyone in the country whose family has been here a couple hundred years who is pure anything. I happen to be Hispanic, but also part Irish, Scottish, French, and Lord knows what else. I tell people I am mixed and so are my kids. Technically I am probably more Hispanic then anything else since I was raised by 100% Hispanic people in the Hispanic culture, but one drop theory is nuts imo.

Answer by gemgem at 8:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't know....I call myself Sicilian because my mother was sicilian...My dad was of Native American, Irish, and English descent, but I identify with Sicilian culture more than the others...does that make me racist? I thought racism was more about hatred, then identifying with a certain culture....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i have a few mixed friends and they don't consider themselves.."mixed"..of course they know they are..but i totally get what she is saying. i don't think its racist. only someone who wants it to be racist would. most mixed people lean one way or the other
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• No, I think its none of my business, I didn't grow up being bi-racial and don't know how that feels....SHE DID , SHE KNOWS....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't think it's racist. If she sees her daughter as black, then whatever. She should also give her daughter's father the same respect if he decides to see his daughter as bi-racial. Her opinion is NOT more important than his opinion. The most important opinion will be Nahla's when she's grown up enough. I just hope Halle doesn't make her neurotic about the whole thing since she seems rather obsessed about it all.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree super... She also sounds bitter.....this is one reason you need to KNOW who you are having a BABY with! Seems they are FAR apart on some fundamental things

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think it is an ugly custody battle being played out in public. It is not fair to their daughter. She will see this one day.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Ummm I find that disturbing.....and racist. What do you think? Is this how we should be labeling people?
    ________________________
    How in the world is that racist?! Just calling someone black isn't racist.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• OP, why do you think it makes her racist? Is there more to the statement? Did she say black was better or something??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2011