How do you start to be frugal?

we are trying to save for our wedding which is in sept either this yr or next (depends on deployment schedual) and so far we're not even half way there to what we want to have saved up. we go out to eat once every 2 weeks and its to like fast food and it isnt much from there, we dont go out to movies we watch them at home.. we dont drink soda unless its from a 2 liter.. but thats about as ffar as i have gotten him but idk what hes doing while im at work too or while hes at work

usmcgirl86

Asked by usmcgirl86 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• You need to start by talking to each other and knowing how much money you bring in, and how much both of you are spending and on what.....you need to be accountable to each other....sit down, make a budget, and see where you can cut costs....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You're are doing really good, you are being frugal I've started being frugal cuz I felt like I was wasting tooo much money so I cut down on everything from food to soap I buy store brands on certain things I find dish washing liquid on sale and I recently started using coupons those coupons really save money even though it seems like 75 cents doesn't count if you put coupons together it does save money
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Carrry your lunches. Use freebates, coupons for groceries and supplies. Do not drive places unnecessarily. Gas is a big expense.
    Shop only once a week. go through your freezer and cupboards and use up what you have. Turn down your thermostat two degrees.
    Pile on the sweaters. Cut back on cable TV. There are ton more. Stop and ask yourself Do you really need it before you purchase anything. Keep a record of what you and he spend and evaluate it to see where you can cut back.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The first thing you need to do is make a budget. Once you know who much money is coming in verses how much is going out, you'll know where you can make cuts. Include everything in your budget. Even a daily trip to Starbucks can add up to a lot of money.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i cant do the cut back on body soaps.. i have a skin condition but i do only get it on sale from bath & body works so i really stock up.. i have 12 bottles right now that i actually didnt have to pay for.. got some really stinky stuff for xmas from there and returned it all and got my body wash for the year LOL.. but i have always only bought cleaning stuff when its BOGO time at publix with it since i get the green works and its not cheap but i cant stand the smells of regular cleaning stuff.. and i only buy bleach when its 3 for 5 at publix or target.. but clothes and stuff since ive been loosing weight comes from clearance racks from rue 21 and aeropostale since its about the same price at walmart but better quality.. but our electric bill has gone down by 20 in the last couple of months just been using more blankets LOL and lately eating out is subway since its 5 footlong and it feeds both of us :)
    usmcgirl86

Comment by usmcgirl86 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• make a budget is one of the first steps!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Just a thought. Make it about being married, not getting married. Save your money for college for your children, and retirement for you and your spouse.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ya to rkoloms.. we will be having a ceremony.. i will not be going without one again and he will not go without this either, he wants it almost as bad as i do. we already save for the retirement and it is not his responsibility to save for my childrens college
    usmcgirl86

Comment by usmcgirl86 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2011