Gas issues adult content

I think. I am overweight by 20 lbs (all gut) and am going to the gym to get rid of it. I have 2 pinched nerves in my back since I was a teen. (long story- not relevant). I've had a lower GI done and came out with no problems. BUT I get gas pains that willcompletely stiffen my back in odd ways when I sleep. Last night I couldn't sleep on my sides as the area under the ribs before you hit the hips became so painful I was crying. This also creates shooting pains in my legs and a tightness in my chest.
So far to avoid this happening all I have to do is avoid foods that create gas. Last night I had three apple slices. The night before a hand-full of walnuts. (snacks not meals).
Hot baths/shows/heating pads do nothing for the pain, nor do over the counter meds.
Laxatives (pills and natural foods) do nothing for this, nor do wearing looser clothing, drinking more water, getting more sleep, or stretching before bed.
My doctor doesn't believe me ( a GP) as the pains go away when I am up and moving (I've been up since 6 (now 830) and its just a dull ache like when you are kicked in the back) and won't authorize me for new tests. Other than changing doctors (which I am doing anyway) I just want to know if anyone else has/had this and what it could be.
Thanks

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• Maybe the back pains are caused from the severe pain in your stomach. When we are uncomfortable we tend to ball up or tense up. That may be why your back is so stiff. Try epsom salt in your bath. That should help a lot with the pain. Try it before bed and see how it goes
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ALWAYS eat your fruits & veggies on an empty stomach, or AT LEAST eat them before you eat your heavier meal. Fruits & veggies digest so quickly & release a gas when digested. If you eat heavier foods along with your fruits & veggies, they will digest & then just sit there unable to pass down to the intestines because your other food in your tummy is still digesting. This makes the gas from the fuit fill up your tummy making you wicked gassy. Some people are more sensitive with this than others. My DD gets horrible gas & her Dr. reccomended i try this, it has worked wonders! I always give her veggies first & wait like 10 minutes before giving her her main course. She has such less gas since i tried this.

It's called "food combination". Just remember to eat your fruits and veggies on an empty stomach, or at least eat it all before you eat your other food so it can digest some before you eat the heavier meal.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• One of my friends was having a really bad problem with gas & bloating. You could be her actually - she wants to lose about 20-30 lbs & has sciatica & back problems. She was talking to a friend, and decided to try cutting gluten out of her diet and that completely did the trick. She has found that gluten is in a lot of things. You might want to try just a few days of no gluten and see if that has any affect on the gas.

This is super painful and you absolutely have my sympathy. Your Dr. is just the kind of Dr. I despise - I will never understand why some of them are so dismissive of those of us w/out medical degrees!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't know, but I'm so tired of doctor's not believing their patients...grrr...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• When I have severe gas pains I take pepto chewable tablets. They work great!! You can also try beano or gas x. Try to find out what foods are causing the issue and eliminate them or just cut back.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I get these once in awhile. My husband has to pound my back.

Try putting soap bars in your bed. Unwrap them and put them by your legs and back.
    I am serious.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• try seeing a more holistic Dr. My DD's Dr. is a pediatrician, but she also studied aryuveda. She is an MD, but will often reccomend trying alternative healing methods, such as the food combining. I LOVE that about her!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• First find a new Dr
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2011