Disneyland annual passes for my kids (vent)

I have 3 children and for Christmas I bought them each a Disneyland annual pass, plus I got one for myself so that we could go on long weekends and things since we LOVE Disney. They were about $500 each, but I saved all year and was so happy I was able to buy them for my children.I am not with their father, he sees them one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. The kids told him about the passes and now all the sudden, he wants to start taking them to Disneyland. Last week he called and said that on his weekend, he and his wife planned to take them so I need to send their passes over with them (didn't ask for the passes that I BOUGHT, just demanded them). I told him if he would like to use them then he needs to pay me for half of what I paid for them or that if it would just be this weekend and he wouldn't use them again, they could just give me half of what they would have paid for the 3 day tickets, which would total to about $275. He said, fine, don't give them to me, when I take them to the park, I'll have them print out another one, it's only $5 a pass. What he didn't know is that I put a restriction on the passes, only I can authorize the reprinting of the cards and I have to show I.D. and provide the credit card that I paid for the passes with. When I told him that, he had a temper tantrum and his wife got on the phone saying what does it hurt me to let them use the passes? I said it really doesn't but ya'll aren't going on vacation on my dime. It's not like I am saying that he needs to buy his own, just that he needs to pay for his share of it. I thought this would be nice for everyone because this way, they get half off the ticket prices and I get a littel bit back from what I paid since they are using it with my children too. I also get 10% off the hotel rooms and discounts on food with these passes that they would get to use. I just can't believe that they thought they were going to take this vacation on my dime. I don't think I am being unreasonble by expecting my ex to pay for his vacation with the children. I am single and they make a LOT more money then I do so I don't see why they can' t pay for their share of the tickets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree he should pay for half of them, but he should get to take them whenever he has them if he does!! GL
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think you are right to say NO! If he wants to take the kids to Disneyland then HE should pay for the trip himself, and not expect to use your free passes and only finance the trip for himself/wife. I also agree with you that if he wants to use the passes he should pay you for it-- and not expect you to let him have a free ride on your dime!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• andria82, that's what I was saying, if he wanted to pay for half then he could use them anytime he had the kids, but I thought to be fair I also gave him the option of paying half of what the 3 day tickets that he would have to buy cost ($275) if he only wanted to take him this one time. either way would save him money and help me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• He says that because they are my children's passes, they should be able to use them no matter which parent they are with. I said "really, so that 52 inch flatscreen tv you bought them for their rec room will be comming over here when they are with me?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• LOL love the comment about the flat screen!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am laughing so hard at the tv comment!!!! That is awesome! And, no I would not let him just use the passes without paying for them! Especially if you are the one who bought them!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 9:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We have these kinds of problems all the time.They feel like while my kids are there for 2 weeks in the summer, I should send 2 weeks worth of clothes so his wife doesn't have to do their laundry or since I bought my dd a bike for her birthday, I should have to bring it over everytime she goes to the house or since we live 3 hours away, the think I should have to do all the driving to save them gas money. It is the stupidest thing, seriously I am waiting for them to ask me to send over food so they don't have to buy extra that weekend. They make pretty good money but they are SOOO cheap.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• seem to me he needs to start paying up for things he wants to do with the children , its not your problem to finiance thier fun while they are with him.....i'm glad you are sticking to your guns and dont give in even when he starts trying to get the children to work on you...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have Disney, Universal, & Sea World passes for my kids that my husband bought. We happily hand them over to my ex husband so he can have fun with the kids. I guess I'm not understanding why you have such an issue with your kids having fun with your ex. Who cares who paid..
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Orionsgirl, I am guess you live in Fl, The problem is, I am sick of working my butt off to give my kids nice things and then also having to pick up the tab for his fun with them. I am not saying he needs to go buy his own, just that if he wants to use the passes with the children, why can't he help pay for them?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2011