crying in car seat?

Everytime I try to put my son in his car seat he cries like he is being hurt. I am always very gentle so I know that can't be the case but what is the problem? He is in a very expensive car seat ( a $300 Britax) so I really want him to enjoy riding in it. He is rar facing in a convertable so he can see. Its not like an infant carrier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most babies scream when you put them in carseats. They don't like being constrained like that, especially when they can't interact with you. Your child will outgrow it, though, and just remember that you're doing the best thing for him, and someday he won't fight it.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• DD did the same thing!! It was awful. I hated going in the car. One day DH put a Marvin Gaye cd in and the turned the volume way up. We didn't know what else to do. The first song was Lets Get It On. She stopped crying within in ten notes!!! I don't know what it was about that song, but I didn't care. We never left home without it for months.

Now that she is older, I keep "special" toys in the car. Basically they are toys and books we just keep in the car until she is bored with them. Then I switch them for other toys and books. She looks forward to playing with them. I also keep a box of animal crackers in the car. She can have one when we get in the care.

Don't worry. It will pass.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My daughter was terrified of her carseat for the first few months, she acted like it was eating her alive! Now she has toys that hang from the handle of the carseat that hold her attention, and she really doesn't mind anymore.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• wow i dont know if i was to put mine in a front facing seat. sounds horrible thankfully she isnt big enought yet.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 8:39 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Mine is 5 months and it is blood curddling screams when you put him in. but usually stops with in a few seconds (once he realizes that i am not taking him bakc out)
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My nephew did this for the entire first year of his life. My brother and his wife didn't have a car, so I drove them places sometimes. It was terrible. He would scream and sound like he was going to explode any moment. When he was a year and they turned him facing front it stopped. I hope the same isn't for you.
    My own baby fusses sometimes now, he cried a lot in the beginning too. Maybe they are just scared of the uncertainty of where they are....who knows.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My son hates to be held down. He has a free spirit and thats all. Your son probably just doesn't like the seat either. i have hope that once he's turned around and can se me he will be happier, because he does much better when someone is in the back seat with him.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Oh...ine thing that seemed to help me a little, I brought the seat in the house and let him play with it for a while so he could get firmiliar with it.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008