Help me quit smoking

i use as a crutch, time for it to go bye bye
any help?

i was a non smoker (had quit) for over a year, than had very stressful situation and started again- been at it for maybe 2 years now, would like to be that non smoker again - it felt good, but i know quiting is very stressful, do not need anymore stress in my life

ways to reduce stress of quitiing, i know it only lasts a few weeks than it is smooth sailing

time machine to three weeks from now would be ideal!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• I'm in the same boat!!!! I'm going to try the gum and the patch, but I totally feel your pain. I tried to stop again at the beginning of the year, was good for a while, then just fell back. I have it hard because I love upstairs with my hubby and he's a smoker and my dad downstairs is a smoker so even if I don't have there's always some near!!! But I'm gonna try!
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You should send me your ID!! I'm gonna try at the end of the month again, maybe we could help each other!
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I quit smoking 4 years ago, but my husband never quit. Get yourself in the mindset that you are just done with it. When you want a cigarette, think to yourself "Yes it would be nice, but I'm not doing that now" and purposefully turn your mind elsewhere "Hm, maybe I should reorganize my kitchen drawers". Also, when the urge gets bad, just pretend you are smoking. Go through the motions of inhaling and exhaling like you really had a cigarette. That deep breathing is very relaxing and helps the craving to go away. I also used the patch for additional support.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It is rough to quit but think of how much better you will feel and how your clothes,breath and hair won't smell bad anymore.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My son quit using those fake ones. A bit expensive but you have them forever in case of relapses. They have new meds you can take to help you wind down the smoking slowly. Check with your Dr. You could also check your larger hospitals especially if you have a cancer center nearby. In Houston MD Anderson will pay people to do their stop smoking trial. Figure out your triggers and try and change them and it will be easier to quit.
    Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Tell yourself that you are not a smoker....Every time you feel the need for a cigarette, remind yourself that you are not a smoker....behave like a non-smoker, believe you are not a smoker...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• See if there are any local Stop Smoking programs. They can usually help you for free or at a low cost.

Please just do it. Today I woke up next to my husband, but for the first time in 18 years my best friend woke up alone, and will never wake up with her husband again. He died yesterday morning of cancer caused by smoking. He developed gastric cancer 2 years ago. They were able to remove all of it, but during a recheck they found a new cancer, kidney cancer. They removed his kidney, but it had already spread to his lymph nodes. He underwent cancer treatments, but the cancer spread into his spine and lungs, and eventually to his brain. He smoked right up until the end.

Three years we lost 3 people we loved in a 2 month period all to lung cancer....all smokers. PLEASE DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO TO QUIT. It's the best gift you can give to your loved ones.

Good Luck to you.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2011