Do you have a feed/sleep schedule down for your breast fed baby?

My baby boy is 4 1/2 months old.He is still nursing..with the occassional pumped bottle (that the booger has been refusing to take but thats another story,lol)
I would like to get a better routine ging with him..if thats possible. As of now he's still feeding on demand and there is just no kind of schedule to it whatsoever.Sometimes he'll eat every hour then then he'll go for 3 hours then for 2 hours. Sleep is whenever I see him getting cranky.
With my other two..they were on a good schedule..life was so much easier :) lol..
is it possible at all to get into a routined schedule with an exclusively nursing baby???

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was so good with my first couple of kids too and now my youngest is just all over the place! lol
    I've got him down for every 4 hours eating during the day, and naps whenever cranky, but at night he has started waking up EVERY HOUR to eat and if you don't give it to him he SCREAMS. Oh my gosh. I don't know what to do either. Well I do....just be consistent with whatever you do, but I haven't been! lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• At that age I just continued to do what you are doing now. I didn't start a sleeping schedule until about 6 months. I just watched and began to realize my girls were putting themselves on a schedule, besided breastfeeding that is. My youngest wanted to be attached to my boob 24/7.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Breast fed babies need to be fed on demand.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I was on a somewhat flexible schedule with all 5 of my breastfed kids. They ate approximately every 3 hours. Obviously if they were hungry before then I fed them, but I went ahead and fed them again at what would have been the 3 hour mark anyway in the hopes that they would make it another 3 hours. They were on a nurse, play, sleep schedule. My youngest is now 7 months and moving from 3 naps to 2 (because she wasn't sleeping at the 3rd), so changes have to be made but it's fairly consistent. Makes my life so much easier to know when I can get things done and when she's going to be hungry/sleepy!

Answer by missanc at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Always feed on demand. Never schedule breast feeding. It has been linked to FTT.

Many babies fall into a pattern around 6 months. A routine at home can help the baby get into a pattern. Then you follow the natural pattern and it becomes a "schedule" of sorts.

Some babies will not be scheduled. It doesn't matter if you feed formula or breast milk or pumped milk or banana splits. Some babies will not ever be scheduled.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Feeding needs to be done on demand. The thing you CAN schedule is the nighttime routine. Pick a time you want him in bed, build your routine around that. He will adjust to that.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Unfortunately, your bf baby won't follow a schedule. However, their feedings will eventually fall into a routine. You just have to build YOUR schedule around BABY'S routine... Welcome to Motherhood!
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011