Switching to formula after 6 months of breastfeeding???

My son is 6 months old and I've breastfed from day one. He's started on solid foods so my milk has already started to diminish a little. It's hard to express enough these days for when he is at daycare. My mother suggested switching him to formula. I've thought about it but I'm just kinda lost on how to do it. Can I still nurse at night or do I have to quit cold turkey? I will miss that bond we have but it would also be nice to have a break.... I need any help I can get. :)

landynsmom2010

Asked by landynsmom2010 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can give formula when he is at daycare and still nurse at night or when you are home with him. Then you don't have to worry about giving up the nursing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can definitely still nurse at night as long as your supply doesn't go away.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• – collapse
    He is old enough,u can switch him to 2% milk. Ask your doctor.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• You can not switch a 6 month old to 2% milk. No cows milk until age one. And then it should be whole milk.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yes you can do formula at daycare and still nurse when you have him.. although your supply might start to slow. and you might have to nurse and bottle at night to get a full tummy! way to go on making ti to 6 months!

and NO MILK at 6 months switch at 1 year, or wait longer and then its whole milk
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had to do that at eight months old, but eventually he stopped his night time feedings. I just nursed as often as I could during the evening and on weekends to keep my supply up and didn't waste my time pumping.
    ashley_2187

Answer by ashley_2187 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can do it any way you like. You can pump, and if the amount expressed is not enough for the time you are apart, daycare can give your milk AND formula, daycare can supplement your milk with solids and you can nurse more when you are together, you can do all formula at daycare and all breast at home, all formula at daycare, some formula and some breast at home, really, it's NOT all or nothing, and you can do it many different ways. Find what will work best for you. You can even try things to increase pump output and stay 100% breast milk if you want to!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I always pumped twice at work and used that milk for day care, then fed her in the morning and at night. I would also get up at night and pump to make sure I had enough. If you really want to stop, you have to do it very gradual. Add some formula to a bottle with breast milk and then slowly add more and more formula each time. Then drop one breast feeding or pumping and give formula. Only drop one every 3 or 4 days. Leave the night time one for last. I switched at 6 months and it worked great. Good luck.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can nurse at home.

Be aware that solids need to FOLLOW nursing all the way to the first birthday; they are nutritionally unimportant compared to the liquid meal.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can use formula at the daycare, but is it possible for you to send expressed milk to the daycare? I supplemented formula for my son while he was at daycare and nursed him at home and on the weekend. I found that eventually my milk diminished to the point that I was giving formula at home to keep up with his demands. He eventually weaned himself at 8 months. :(
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011