Parenting help books?

There's so many books out there to help with parenting. What books have you read and would you suggest them? What about books you would recomend I NOT read?

pioneergirl10

Asked by pioneergirl10 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I highly recommend BOUNDARIES FOR CHILDREN by Drs. Henry Cloud and John Townsend.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't believe in any of those books honestly. Parenting is a perspective based 'tool' that isn't generalized by one "Experts" ideas. Nobody can tell you what is best for your family but you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am a big advocate of attachment parenting and using positive discipline. I chose the attachment parenting principal for the fact that it just made common sense to me and how I view children and their sense of self.

Dr William & Martha Sears are considered the authorities on attachment parenting as well as positive discipline and have many books about both. Other authors I like and have read include Alfie Cohen, Dale McGowan & Elizabeth Pantley
    meandmyLM

Answer by meandmyLM at 10:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I love the Dr. Sears books! Of course, with anything, you have to take away what you find helpful and relevant to your situation and family and no one book or expert will have all the answers. I also like Alfie Cohen! Yay meandmyLM!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family.

MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I love all the "Sears" books. Have read them all. It's a very child and family-freindly veiw.

"Baby wisperer"---NO. This woman has since been discredited in the baby/child-rearing community. Her book has lead to many babies being malnurished and neglected.

a little off topic, but there is a nutrition book that will make you rethink some of the foods you feed your family. It's one of the best i've every read. "Crazy Makers"
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm a fan of Dobson (The Strong Willed Child, Dare to Discipline, Bringing Up Boy, Bringing Up Girls, etc. - he has an extensive list of books), but then I'm a Christian so I'm in his target audience.

Answer by missanc at 11:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I like Baby 411 and Toddler 411 for the basics. One of these days I'm going to check out a Dr. Sears book.

Babywise is one that I would NOT recommend.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I like the What to expect series
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Number One is Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort http://www.naomialdort.com/

Followed closely by Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton:  http://www.touchpoints.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011