10 yr old wants an electric guitar fo Christmas.

My 10 yr. old son has always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument, my brother is a "closet" guitar player lol he only lets family hear him play. I should add that my brother is a stutterer and so is my son, and this is my brothers way of expressing himself without having to talk. I wonder if my son (also not wanting to talk but express himself) has a knack for playing a guitar. My ?, should I go ahead and buy him one? I have been checking out prices and anything decent is over $100!

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Some of the shyest people are some of the BEST musicians in the world!! Have you ever watched "American Idol" auditions, or "America's Got Talent"? If you have , have you noticed that the people with the full-of-themselves-, cockiness who brag about their talent and crow about how good they are usually cannot sing a note on key, and the shy, modest , humble closet players, are the ones who actually absolutely ROCK? BUY THAT KID A GUITAR!! If he has a real interest in music, a thimble full of talent, and he practices, he will hone that talent and become more balanced in all areas of school and life. If he decides not to be a musician or loses the desire, sell the guitar and you haven't lost a thing!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• When my son started playing guitar we got him lessons and rented an acoustic guitar. After he had been playing for about 1 year he bought himself an electric one. After that we bought him the acoustic guitar. I did not want to spend that kind of money if my son was never going to play.

If I were you I would do one of 2 things. I would either go to the local music store and see if they offer lessons. Then is they do see if they rent electric guitar or if it is only acoustic. If you can only rent acoustic I would get him that and some lessons. That way you know if he likes it and if it is something he is going to stay with.

If your brother plays he might have an extra one that he is willing to let you borrow as well.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My 11 year old son wants one to! Wree do you live maybe our boys could share. LOL I'm struggling with the same question. In this economy I don't want to spend $200 for another dust magnet.
    bookwriter4kids

Answer by bookwriter4kids at 12:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I got my son a guitar on ebay for $40. You can find them cheaper. But go ahead and get him one! It's a great idea! Also remember you will need to get an amp as well.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Get one that you can plug in ear phones for him.Shop around for a cheaper deal if this is his first one.Incase he looses interest.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Check out Craigslist, a lot of people are starting to sell decent things for very little moola because they really need the money!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I bought my husband a starter kit at best buy for 200. It came with an amp.Also make sure you get the HUGE soft head phones.And any book store will have Guitar books that are easy to read.BUT a DVD will be better.They even have Guitars at toys r us. I would not get used due to if you know nothing abuot music you could be getting screwed on what you think is a good sounding guitar.AND you get buy a protection plan if its new and he does love it :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• WOW! You moms are so insightful, maybe I'm not right now cause I don't want to spend the money but now I am convinced! Thanks everyone!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We bought my son then an electric guitar at Guitar Center, a used one we payed around 400.00 because if the guitar is not a quality one then they are hard to stay in tune and have other problems. By the time we were done with everything he needed the bill was 1000.00. We put it on there one year no interest on payment plan. The lessons are 90.00 a mouth. The one thing I know is that we can get all of our money back if we were to sell the set, because it was quality and he enjoys playing because everything works well and sounds good. It has helped with grades and focusing. Best thing you can do for him.
    victoria330

Answer by victoria330 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008