Why is my Bulldog suddenly barking?

Why is it that my bulldog, who never used to bark at anything (trained from a puppy and over 1 year old when we adopted him) and who we have had for nearly 3 year now suddenly barking at things?
I am so annoyed. It's 12:30 am, and he has never barked at this hour, but for the last month he's been barking more and more frequently. Before a month ago, I rarely (like maybe once in 4 months) heard him bark at all, but since a month ago he has been barking at weird hours, including this one tonight, and his bark days are increasing rather than decreasing. Suggestions? Arrrgh! It's driving me up the wall.

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 10:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Dogs have extremly strong senses. If a new dog or animal has moved in a few miles down the road, he could be barking to send signals. That's how dogs talk. Boredom causes barking as well,.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Aside from the other suggestions you may watch for signs of rodents in your house. If there is a mouse, he may have seen it and responded. Otherwise make sure he is getting adequate exercise and mental stimulation. Nuisance barking can be related to boredom, although the rodent sounds more likely. Good luck ;)
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No clue, we have an old dog who will go out and intermittently start barking at nothing. I think she is senile. Very annoying in the middle of the night.

Is there a new dog in the neighborhood? Have you had him checked by a vet. Maybe he is having some ear problem.
    Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Dogs bark because they r trying to warn us. about something.. When he barks do u go and see what the problem is?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011