Will a doctor prescibe diet pills if you are not severely overweight?

I am 5'4" and weigh 150 and would like to loose 30 lbs. I have drastically changed my diet, I eat more healthy now and exercise 4 times a week and in the 6 months of changing bad habits I have still managed to gain 20 unwanted lbs. I don't know why I'm not losing instead of gaining.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No clue. Your best option is to speak with your doctor.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Doubtful. Those will generally do more harm than good. She'll probably run tests to see if something is medically wrong and causing you to gain weight.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Doubtful. You are not severly obese.
    I am 5'4" and weigh 148 lbs. I don't see myself as big by any means. I would like to drop 10 lbs. I did ask a doc for pills when I was around 160 and he said that it wouldn't benefit me to do so.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ok thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It isn't the number on the scales, it is the fit of the clothes. If you are working out, you might be putting on muscle and muscle out weighs fat.

As for a weight loss pill, there is no magic weigh loss pill. If there were, we wouldn't be a nation of overweight people.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It depends on the doctor. One doctor gave them to me, and I lost 55 pounds,(I'm 5'2", and at the time weighed 158 pounds) and kept it off for 6 years, until my pregnancy with my 2nd son. Another doctor wouldn't give them to any patient, even those severely overweight. The diet pills helped, but I also changed the way I ate, and exercised. It sounds like you've already done that.

I actually have an appointment today with a weight loss doctor to get diet pills. I don't have enough weight for surgery, but need some help getting this off as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Ask your doctor to check your thyroid. If you've done all that and gained that much in 6 months...maybe something else is going on. I weigh about what you do..I'd like to get diet pills from the doctor too...not sure if he will tho.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Probably not but why would you want them? So many diet pills including prescription pills have been pulled over the years for causing heart attacks, stroke, liver damage/failure, kidney damage/failue....why would you want to take pills now that may kill you later?

Eating healthy and exercise is all you need
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ohwrite, I wouldn't get them....the risks are far too great. Everyone overweight or obese struggles to lose it on their own, but it CAN be done, and be done without pills that can potentially be dangerous.

Honestly you are 5'2" and were 158 the first time you took pills....that really isn't severely overweight. A healthy weight for your height is 135. I'm not quite 5'2" and at my highest I was 225. I've been a size 14 and in the 180 range except for the 2 years at 225, since high school.....but I would never take diet pills. I'm 177 right now and on Janurary 1st I was 193....so i'm down 16 pounds all on my own.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Mom2Jack04----- B/c I have tried the diet and exercise thing for 6 months and I have only gained. I don't want this excess weight and other than the diet and exercise (that obviosly isn't working) I don't have any other ways that I can think of to loose the weight. I dont want to stay on them for a long period of time just a couple of months.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2011