Please tell me if this just a phase?

My DD is 4 and all she wants right now is Mommy. I love it but sometimes her crying and screaming because daddy has to do something for her drives me nuts. Last night my husband started yelling at her for crying and yelling. He stands there and leans over and tells her she is a spoiled brat (yes she is alittle spoiled) and she does not need mommy.

This is totally breaking my heart. I personally think it is one of those phases little ones go through but he has no patients anymore.

I totally love the thought that my daughter wants to be with me. Yes it makes it hard everyday that I have to go to work but I just deal with that.

Please tell me do you think this is a phase, and eventually my husband will relax with her?

mommy2each

Asked by mommy2each at 10:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children will spend their whole lives going through phases like this...when they will want one parent more than the other. Based on her father's reaction, I could see why she would want you. IMO what he did was not a good choice and I imagined it scared her horribly.

I noticed when my son was hitting major milestones like talking, walking & learning to use the potty, he would become more clingy. I read somewhere that this is normal. As children learn more and become more independent, it is also very scary for them...their small world of what they know is getting bigger. It's natural for them to regress in other areas and/or become more clingy especially to the child care provider they are with most of the time and/or trust more.

Just provide more snuggles and support and it will pass. :)
    meandmyLM

Answer by meandmyLM at 10:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Telling her she is a spoiled brat is the 100% wrong thing to say. He should be saying "Well I love you too honey, why don't you and I play a game and give mommy a little alone time"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It is phase. To help it out, leave your daughter with her father and let her get used to being with dad and dad doing things for her. Go shopping, go for a walk, etc. She needs to get used to being with dad and dad needs to learn to be patient with her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think Daddy calling her a spoiled brat will only make this phase harder. Yes, it is a phase and one that my 3 year old has been in for 6 months.. only mommy everything.. but Dad, although it does break his heart, understands its just a phase and the severity of the not wanting daddy to help has been less because of his pateince...tell dad to lighten up and understand its a phase... good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my son did that for a little while, only it was fussing whenever daddy left. I am a sahm so i would always tell him and have hubby tell him that "daddy always come back because daddy loves you" and after getting him involved with "look and see if daddy's home" right when hubby pulled up helped out a lot. try something like that and then give her about 30mins to an hr of time just for you and her when you get home. try to see if she will "help" you get ready for work.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We were having that a little and the other night her grandpa baked a cake with her. Now she thinks he is TOP POP!!!
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I forgot to mention that the cake they made was 1000 times better than the one she and I had made together the week before.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2011