At What age should kids start using deodorant?

My daughter just turned 9 and has been asking me if she can use deodorant. She has no body odor yet, I think she is just trying to be "grown up" . Is she to young? Or do you think it would be ok to let her? I bought a Dove deodorant the other day, I figured it would be more gentle on her skin. What age did your kids start using it? Is this a good age?

Thanks

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let her now while she wants to. It's much better than 'forcing' kids to use it later on.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• When they start stinking..anwhere from 8 on up. I think your daughter will be fine using Dove deodarant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't think there's a magic number...but a magic odor...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I always start mine at 9yrs old or 5th grade.

Answer by gemgem at 11:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My kids started around 8. My 9 year old stinks if she doesn't.

Answer by missanc at 11:17 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• When they start having body odor, but it's probably okay for your daughter to use the Dove. I would e-mail dove and ask them what they think....see if they answer, and let us know!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• when they smell or ask to wear it, they make kinds for tweens/teens
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 11:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If she is wanting to use it, at 9 it isn't a bad time and it then becomes a habit. Far better to have her wanting to than fighting her.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't believe there is any specific age to start using deoderant. My oldest daughter started wearing deoderant when she was 8, but my younger daughter, is 8 now, does not need to use it yet. I do buy it for her because she wants to be like her older sister, and to get my oldest to use it was a fight to begin with.
    mom10763

Answer by mom10763 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't let such a young one use anything with the aluminum in it because of the association with certain cancers. I'd start with something much safer like the mineral salt ones. A natural health store will have some good options.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2011