Still believe there were WMD's in Iraq?

Rumsfeld said Powell, along with other top Bush advisers and officials, truly believed Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction when he made a presentation to the UN Security Council in February 2003 -- and never spoke up during meetings with the president to raise objections about the war.

On the weapons of mass destruction that never surfaced despite being cited by the Bush administration as the primary justification for the war, Rumsfeld acknowledged: "My goodness, the intelligence was certainly wrong."

But he categorically refused to say whether he would have acted differently had he known then what he knows now about Saddam's alleged weapons.

"I have no idea. I have no idea," he said. "What you know today can help you on things you're thinking about tomorrow. It can't help you with things you were thinking about back then. Back then, there was reasonable confidence that he had these weapons."

GWB and now Rumsfield have admitted there were none...why do some insist that there were? The products removed in the wiwk leaks files were there since 93...and nothing new....Why are there still some that insist they were there? and does it change your view of the war in Iraq?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• According to wikileaks they did find them.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/us_did_find_iraq_wmd_AYiLgNbw7pDf7AZ3RO9qnM

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope. I've been against the Iraq war since day one. I do think they believed they were there. But I don't think that was enough reason to go in, even if they were right.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am not sure that they do or don't but yes it would change my opinion on the war.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

•  

You are incorrect and need to investigate further, this is about materials that have been there since the early 90's ...there was nothing new added,

List of poeople that ADMIT there were none'

George Bush

Rumsfield

Powell

Clark

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think that the war was needed whether or not they were there. The people of Iraq were suffering under the dictatorship.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Tony Blair basically admitted it also:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/12/tony-blair-iraq-chilcot-inquiry

Just thought I'd add that in.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think that the war was needed whether or not they were there.

The people of Iraq were suffering under the dictatorship.

So are the people of Egypt, and they are handling it ...the only people that can demand change are THE PEOPLE,,,,not a foreign government coming in and placing another corrupt regime

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If the U.S. is supposed to go to war with every country suffering under a dictatorship, we're in for a lot of wars.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I believe Saddam Hussein was a volatile man who would have revolted against the rest of the world whether through WMDs or other means. The people of Iraq did want change but if they tried they were shot dead in their homes. I have been to Iraq and I live around many Iraqis, who have been raped and their family members killed all because they said no. I have lost a relative in Iraq and I still agree that the war was necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

•  

If the U.S. is supposed to go to war with every country suffering under a dictatorship, we're in for a lot of wars.

Never ending,,,,,

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011