I am just curious as to how many other parents do this?

When you do your grocery shopping or whatever & your kids get grouchy & loud do you open food that you are purchasing in the store for them before you buy? I know I do on occasion.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 11:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Not really. My kids think it is wrong, lol!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope! I never open things to give to the kids in the store. I let them pick out a treat and AFTER we pay for it they can open it and eat it in the car on the way home.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• No. I think that would be teaching my daughter that she can just take what she wants, when she wants it. She has tried to open things before and I always tell her...No, we have to buy it first, it's not ours yet. Now, she will put the stuff she really wants up on the conveyer belt herself...it's cute too, because usually the cashiers will ask her if she wants it right away....she of course says yes.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• nope. I teach my kids to be patient. If they scream and get loud they get in trouble... since they know there's consequences to their bad behavior they just don't do it.
    hallieballie

Answer by hallieballie at 11:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't. I give them a snack at home or in the car and then do the grocery shopping. I keep them busy in the store by having them help me gather things.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:24 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope, I don't do that.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I shop at the Safeway and Sobeys or Superstore, all bakeries give a cookie to kids, my incentive for the kids, be good while I get my groceries and we will stop at the bakery before the checkout. I have sometimes had very red faced upset kids because they didn't get their cookie. I smirk and shrug my shoulders, they know it's up to them to be helpful to me. :)
    JusaLady

Answer by JusaLady at 11:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• lol. i've seen this topic on here and it's caused a great deal of debate and argument! Personally, i think it is stealing. Until you've paid for something, it is not legally yours. I also beileve in planning ahead, and carry a snack or two in my purse for those occations. Now there have been a couple times i'm out without a snack or drink, and my child needs something. I will go through and pay for just that (and keep the reciept), then continue on with my shopping.

I've actually seen some stores post signs about purchansing food items before opening. The signs were not offensive, and the store has a right. I have seen people take something off a shelf, eat it, and throw away the packaging without paying for it. And even if you do pay for something, if it's based on weight (like produce), so you're not paying for what you ate.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• "I shop at the Safeway and Sobeys or Superstore, all bakeries give a cookie to kids, my incentive for the kids, be good while I get my groceries and we will stop at the bakery before the checkout."

yes, our store does that too. But that's different. The store employee is making the decision and can be justified as public relations. But one time i saw a lady open a box of cookies, take one and begin eating it, leaving the box, and begin walking off. The store employee came up to the woman and asked her to please not do that. The woman said, but you do it. And the employee expailed,nicely, to her that they have to keep track of the boxes they open, and they keep them behind the counter and either offer them to kids, or kids can come up and ASK!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011