Re: "lying down birth" question. Will my doctor recommend different positions at the hospital?

I don't want to ask my OB with the fear of sounding foolish.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i squatted in the bed (i had an epidural that didn't work, they hollered at me bc they were afraid i would fall from the epidural numbing me), i threw caution to the wind and it really really helped me. for me it was just the position my body wanted me to in.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Do what feels best for you. It's easier for them if you lie on your back but for you, I highly doubt that will be the easiest position. Just tell them what you want to do.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:41 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If lying on your back isn't working then yes, he will recommend different positions. I think I tried 3 different positions.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• mine didn't.... drs. usually go with the on the back position. But I also heard on your side with your leg up is better than laying down... it opens up your pelvis
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Unless YOU insist on doing what is most comfortable, they'll want you to lay down and not move, because it is easier for them. In reality, doing what makes you the most comfortable is both the safest, and the best way to labor and birth. How can you trust someone with a penis, who can not give birth, to order you around?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have given birth three times and was never told not to move.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• They will mostly want you lying down. Some doctors or hospitals allow a squat bar or a birth chair, but MOST still prefer supine pushing and aren't even equipped with birth chairs or squat bars.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It doesn't matter if the hospital isn't equipped either, just make your SO prop you up :P
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had a midwife and she suggested that i try didn't positions. she actually recommended that i squat for a while when the baby was moving thru the canal. it's much easier to change position. it gives the baby a little more wiggle room. don't feel foolish trying anything new. It's your birth and you are in control. don't forget that.
    yevsgirl

Answer by yevsgirl at 11:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It depends on your OB, but it's better to ask at one of your appointments before you go into labor how he/she feels about movement during labor. My OBs were really good and suggested several different positions - I never had a problem with it.

Answer by missanc at 11:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2011