Where can I meet new people in my area?

I live Idaho, but I am not originally from here my husband is. Lately I have just been feeling lonely and like I don't have friends. All "our" friends were friends with him first and I don't feel like I have a strong support system of girls like I did in College. Where can I meet people, perferable moms, that have things in common with me in my area? Any ideas?

CharleesMom7

Asked by CharleesMom7 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Sign your children up for some activitiies, such as reading time at the local library, go to the park, sign up for community classes, before you know it you'll have a bunch of new friends.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• See if there is a chapter of "The Mommies Network" in your area www.themommiesnetwork.org
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• See if you have a M.O.M.'s Club in your area. They are national, and I made some lifelong friends in M.O.M.'s Club. Look them up online. It stands for Moms Offering Moms Support. They have playgroups if you have small kids, and activities for mom's without their kids. Ours had a bowling team, a softball team, craft groups, pre-school co-op, babysitting co-op, Mom's Night Out, all kinds of activities.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• MOPS organizations are great. Also you could check into mothers' day out programs at the local churches. These can be found even in very small towns. You can take your children there and leave them for a couple of hours while you run errands. Most only require that you help with the watching maybe once a month, but even then you would be with other moms with children the ages of yours.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• "M.O.P.S." is everywhere just need to look up your local groups, meetup.com for local groups (Play dates gets better searches for some reason), local Yahoo Groups, local groups here on CM, mall activities, local kids clubs, and so forth
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• church?
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 3:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• What part of Idaho are you in? I am in North Eastern Oregon and I feel the same way. I moved here from Virginia a year ago and I have an awesome man in my life but not many friends. It's a very small community (only 11,000 spread out over a few million miles..not joking) so not many people. I love this area but kinda miss my friends and they hustle and bustle of going and running and shopping and such with the girls. Our closest wal mart is over 2 hours away...haha but i'm not far from idaho (only 3 hours to lewiston)
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 4:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011