Do you or do you know somebody that sells breast milk?

I hear people talking about it..my friend and I were talking about it the other day. DO they really do this and how who and where? lol
Is it pasteurized like cow milk?
I would imagine its screened for diseases and such.
How does a person get started doing something like that? Just put it in a jug and ship it off or what?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My answer is the same as Tabi cat1203 But I receive breast milk from 2 aweosme local mamas for my son. I was unable to nusre and my dh and I decided this was the best choice to make. They are 2 wonderful people and I trust them with all my heart. I found them on Eats on feets and we spoke and looked things over 1st to make sure everything was a good match for all of us and now we go over for play dates and everything. I provide the bottles/bags fro them to use and they deep freeze the milk. My son is able to get the nutrients from bm b/c of them and they will always hold a place in my heart for there kindness. I know some would never do this but we have chosen this for him and we believe it is the best choice for us.
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• SELL no, DONATE yes...milk banks will accept milk and send you bags and has you get testing done at their cost but you do not get paid though the moms who need the milk for their babies pay. Theres also east on feets on facebook and milkshare for local donating mommies that give fresh or frozen milk that is straight from them for no charge. I have donated 1200 oz so far to 2 local mommies whose adopted babies thrived on my milk. I have the testing for them to see I am clean and my son whom I nurse as proof of health too. They give me bags and the kindness of their friendship.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• That's just gross.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• They freeze it I believe and send it in freezer bags. A friend of a friend made ALOT of money off it.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It has to be pastureized. Meaning that most all of the nutrients are cooked out.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:51 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would NEVER buy another womans breast milk, God only knows what she eats, drinks, takes....there are organizations out there that sell breast milk, but to buy from a private seller? Uh NO
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I've known people who have donated their milk to Children's Hospitals. But they never profited from it. It goes through lots of screenings before they will even except you as a donor. I'm not sure about it being pasteurized. IDK if they use it immediately or store it for later.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Isn't it illegal to do that in a lot of areas? Besides, I would think it would be safer to use formula than to give your child some random person's milk - how do you know what you're getting isn't coming from a druggie looking to make some extra money?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ~*Nope*~ but I do know of a local business that buys/sells it for infants/premies... and I heard about it on CraigsList for body builders buying it to bulk up??? Personally I chose to do formula with ours when I had to than rolling the dice
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2011