Spoiled breast milk?

A couple of months ago, I pumped and froze some milk for my baby. Well I followed all of the thawing guidelines, but it tastes as if its gone bad. This is the second time this has happened. Am I doing something wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like you may have a lipase problem. Excess lipase will cause what you're experiencing. To avoid it, fresh ly pumped milk needs to be scalded. That which is stored is a loss, I'm afraid.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

Scroll down to where "lipase" is in bold letters. Some of the links are no longer active but it's good information nonetheless. 

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Does it taste kinda soapy? That's "normal" for thawed breastmilk.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Soapy could be a word to describe it. Its not sweet nor fresh. DD wouldn't even drink it.
    And Kim, if I'm not mistaken its 3 months in the freezer and 6 months in the deep freezer.
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thanks gdiamante, I will look into that.
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• thanks
    Proverbs_31

• How long can you keep breastmilk in the freezer?
    Frozen breastmilk can be stored three to six months, depending on the temperature of the freezer and frequency of freezer door openings. Deep freezers, or chest freezers afford the longest freezing time because of they usually have lower and more consistent temperatures. Do not store breastmilk on a freezer or refrigerator door, since that's where the widest temperature variations occur.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/breastmilk-storage-101-answers-your-7-most-asked-questions

hope this helps some? i will keep looking...i freeze some milk too..so its good to know!:)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh wow...i didnt realize how much different info there is out there on this kind of question! lol I just googled it and pulled up lots of different reasons...and the lipase that gdiamante is refferring to is defintiley among them.
    Maybe you can find something? Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I checked out the kellymom link on lipase. Thanks ladies.
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I may be wrong..but I think in a regular house freezer it is only supposed to be good for use for 30 days from time of being frozen. In a deep freezer its longer..like 3 months I think.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2011