Belly button ring?

My dd just turned 16 years old and wants her belly button pierced. I have no problem with this, I got it done at 15 and my mom has it done too (she is 56 but looks maybe 40). In fact, last year I told her if she kept her grades up, we will do it for her birthday. She is a good kid, gets straight As, she hangs around with good kids and almost never has an attitude problem. My ex, her dad, says he doesn't want her to get it done. In fact he told me that I am not allowed to get it done. IMO, he has no right to tell me what I can and can not do. It only takes 1 parent to sign for the piercing so I could let my dd get it done no matter what. I am planning on taking her on friday to do it anyway. I feel like it's not like she is getting a tattoo somewhere that can't be hidden and would hurt her in the future when getting a job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd respect his wishes, just like you would want him to respect yours.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I got mine done when I was 13.... I see no prob with it
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm sorry but a tatoo is no better or worse than a piercing. It's all meant to draw attention to your body. Why does a teen need to draw attention to that area anyway? I don't think it's fair that you refuse to respect or acknowledge her father's wishes either. He is her father, and by saying "who cares what he thinks" sends a message to your daughter it's ok to disrespect him as her father.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I had mine when I was 13 so I don't see an issue. I would have another chat with him to see why this is such an issue.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't see the big deal in a belly button ring, but I do have to say I agree with the other poster's who mentioned respecting the father's wishes. I mean, if the roles were reversed, how peeved would you be?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• im not against it but id make sure you and your ex on the same page about it because if you do it with out him being ok with it. It sends the wrong message to your daughter that she doesnt have to respect her dads wishes. If he is really against it then i wouldnt let her do it, she can have it done with out your consent or his when she turns 18 if its still something she wants.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• For those who think I need to respect his wishes, why is it that he gets all the say? I am just as much a parent (if not more because I am the one who she is with most of the time) and I am saying yes . He is not my husband and doesn't have say over what I chose to do. I was talking about a tattoo on a place people could see , like an arm or ankle. this could one day prevent her from getting a job where as a belly button ring only shows in a bikini or a belly shirt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh, and since we could never agree on rules we have always had my rules at my house and his rules at his house, well in my house if a girl is 16, getting good grades and wants her belly button pierced, she can.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm with you on this one... However, if he is the vindictive type who will make her take it out when she comes to visit, that is just beggeing for trouble.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• And this is why children grow up with such issues from being stuck in the middle between their parents. I know, I grew up in that spot and it isn't good.
    As for the piercing/tattoos, that's a different subject that I totally disagree with you on.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011