My baby is an insomniac please help!

My son is 7 months old and has never been a good sleeper since birth but in the past month or so it has gotten DRASTICALLY WORSE! He is formula fed and eats cereal/food before bed but is waking up every hour for the past month! It doesnt seem like his teeth are bothering him to much but im at a lose he usually goes to bed good but i cant keep him asleep

ive tried...

sleeping with him

leaving our bed all to him and me and the bf sleeping on the floor

bath and ceral/food before bed

rocking with him music and no music

dimmed light and no light

comforting him but not picking him up

cryed it out for 30 min the other night because i was so fed up but that didnt work and i wont do it again

giving him bottles in the middle of the night but it doesnt keep him asleep

the list goes on and on ive even talked to his pediatrician and he was no help!

jadensmom14

Asked by jadensmom14 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went through the same thing with my now 20 month old, she was a horrible sleeper! Everything you mentioned I did as well and my daughter didn't start sleeping well till about 10-11 months. It's really frustrating, I feel for you, I really do. I think some babies are just bad sleepers. I was rocking some ugly discolored eyes with baggage for months. I even had my mom come spend the night sometimes so I could just get a good night's sleep.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't know what to say. But definite;y try to get all the help you can and try EVERYTHING. I ignored this stuff in my daughter, figuring she'd outgrow it. Know what i have now?
    A five year old who has NEVER slept more than 4 hours at a time. No fun.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• IGNORE HIM. yes its gonna be hard but right now but its so worth it. just do every thing you can to know that hes comfortable. full belly little bit of pain meds. if hes teething and a light blanket that is if he can turn his head on his own. dont let him see you moving. and if its during time when you should be sleeping try pretend snorning. worked like a charm for my son.
    tricia18

Answer by tricia18 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• try the gas drops. I had one like that- Total colic- I thought I was going to die or kill my child. Now she is 15 and I think back about how lucky I was that I could cuddle with her that much. It is probably a phase. Ask the dr. at the next visit and try and think of how in 15 years she will be too big to cuddle. It will get better!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I feel for you. My daughter was sort of like this. I also could not do the cry-it-out the way it's supposed to be used. I modified it for myself and it helped.

Baby cries, give him 5 minutes to sort himself out. If he's still crying at the end of 5 minutes go in and comfort, but stay right by the crib.
    If he's starting to wind down at the 5 minute mark give an additional 5 minutes before you go in to comfort.
    If, at any time, the cry changes from a protest to a mad/scared cry go in immediately and comfort.
    Repeat as often as necessary until he sleeps better.

It took us a few months to settle my daughter down, but she's a fabulous sleeper now and will be 4 in March.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Children sleep better if they spend more time playing outside. It has to do with ur circadian rythyms. They get fresh air and run around with that excess energy. Make sure to play outside right before and during the sun going down so that ur body will kow it's time to sleep later. You could always takem him to the park or garden if you have one. It's good to spend time in nature. hope this helps.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 1:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yea, they do this. It's normal. Best reason in the world to do whatever you need in order to breastfeed your next... because when they do this you don't have to get out of bed to tend to them.

Goodluck and hang in there!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2011