Anxiety symptoms worsening with PMS?

so ever since i started having children, ive been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks. i know its a hormonal change and im fine dealing with it usually but it always gets worse the week before my period. i actually feel most "normal" when im on my period. anyway, the symptoms i have are shortness of breath, mostly associated when im driving or in the shower (embarassing lol i still force myself to shower every other day but i do it very quickly to get in & out), and when i cant get a full breath i start freaking out (silently) and thinking im having a heart attack or a blood clot in my lung or something. when im able to get the full breath i feel "sane" again. now these are symptoms i deal with everyday but they're worst during my PMS. i also have normal PMS symtpoms associated with it like irritability, fatigue and detachment. the other day i was driving and i let my mind race so far that for an instant i didnt recognize my surroundings, it lasted a fraction of a second so i know it was just me scaring myself but then the whole day i wondered if i had a mini-stroke.. lol. i do have a lot of stress in my life, namely raising 3 children under the age of 5 practically alone because my husband is dealing with his own personal demons (PTSD/anger issues) so hes not much help with the kids. not to mention our financial struggles.

i dont know, i really dont want to take any kind of hormonal BC that would help balance my hormones because last time i did, i ended up with severe migraines that were too much to deal with. they were so bad i couldnt take care of the kids, because id get tunnel vision & vomit. so that is totally out of the question for me. im thinking a mild tranquilizer like xanax might help but then i dont know how that would affect me as far as being able to take care of the kids or drive while on it.

im just tired of feeling like this & wondered if anyone else has these problems, and what do you do to help manage your anxiety naturally? thank you.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• Sometime taking an anti-depressant helps even out your hormones. I'd talk to your family doctor about it, not the gyn.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Herbal supplements and make sure to do Yoga or some sort of relaxing exercise.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011