Does your four year old do the opposite of what you tell him or her to do?

The other day I told her NOT to look in my freezer and not 5 seconds later she was trying to open it! I just told her to stop snooping in my DH jacket pocket and I look over and she still hasn't stopped! Is this normal 4 year old behavior?

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 12:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh yea! very normal. my 4 year old is the same way. she just looooooves to press my buttons & see what she can get away with. the other day my 2 year old was kicking the screen door & i told her to stop, just after my 4 year old joins after HEARING me tell my 2 year old to stop!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Sounds pretty normal to me!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• 9 times out of 10... he sure does!! Drives me nuts!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Had she gotten to the freezer yet, or did you plant the idea...not meaning to in her head, hoping she would listen...but didn't? lol
    Sometimes when you tell them not to do something, they do it anyway. It's best just to divert their attention to something else rather than just telling them not to do something. That's what works for us!
    Anonymous

• Tnm that SAME EXACT thing happened at my house! lol
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• LOL yep, sounds VERY normal to me. My daughter won't be 4 until March, but has been doing the exact same things for forever now, it seems. She and her older brother will be running up and down our hallway, I tell them to stop and not do that anymore, so they JUMP instead. The list is endless, and frustrating.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• That's normal for a child and an adult. It's natural for them to test their bounderies. Especially if they are determined to do something they want to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011