HARD TIMES (I know I am not alone)

So my husband and I have been through some really rough times in the last 2 1/2 -3 yrs. We separated for a year and a half after having difficulties. We in Sept. got back together and relationship is fine. We do have three your girls. Well with getting back together I moved to a new location. With the move gave up my job as a dental hygienist. All of Sept and Oct. I tried finding a new job. Nothing. So I am working 20hrs every 2 weeks compared to over 60hrs. WE ARE HURTING FINANCIALLY. I am so stressed. He is working and has a good job thank goodness, but everytime I think we are getting ahead something bad happens. We can't get ahead and are behind (ashamed to say so). I mean this month we were going to get something paid off and then my husbands truck breaks down, 150 dollars there. Nov. I started working like 8 hours every 2 weeks, it helped. Then we find out we have bed bugs (eww... I know... ). To solve problem ourselve it took several hundred and what we had in savings. I want to scream. I am under so much stress. My husband doesn't see worried and says there are people in much worse shape. We have a lot of medical expenses due to our youngest sick often, medicines and hospital stays (thank god for medical insurance). Our grocery bill is not cheap due to food allergies. We each have student loans and that is killing us. I sometimes wish I didn't go to school. I feel sometimes I'd be better off in a way. I need faith! I need to know we are going to be fine. I just do not know how to budget well and I am trying to learn. Next week we will have like 30 bucks for groceries (maybe a little more). I need maybe budget ideas and faith that maybe we will get out of this. I know I cannot be alone. We do not have credit cards anymore, but some to pay off. Two store with nothing more than 15o and one larger one. (We were stupid in college days and right after marriage, could kick myself now).

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• We are hurting too, I had to drop out of college because between the loans and expenses, even the registration fees every semester, just couldn't do it anymore! I really want to go back but I want to pay off a lot of our debt first. Car loans, personal loans, credit card, it all adds up. You are definitely not alone! I would get a job, but around here there is nothing but minimum wage and daycare is more expensive than what I'd make so I started a small business on Etsy. Not consistent (yet) but the little bit helps. Just hold on, I know you will pull through! When we don't have a lot of grocery money I buy lots of bread and make sandwiches throughout the week for me and my son.
    littlefever

Answer by littlefever at 1:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I hear you loud and clear. With us from Nov through the end of Jan (recently) if it could have gone wrong it has. Repeatedly. For budgeting I'd suggest something like Quicken. You can enter in all your receipts and it will help you see where exactly your money is going and adjust accordingly. BTW, I'm nowhere close to good at budgeting myself.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ~*HUGS*~... first of all I have been in your shoes, we were forced to move, than when we thought smaller bills would help us get ahead car insurance doubled and medical insurance doubled, eating up what would have gone into savings!!! So, in a way moving was a blessing (nicer even though smaller, cheaper, and away from certain people)... than his car he does his second job in kept breaking down, I was at tears at some points! Things are much better now...

Just face the things you can, find soemthing to have faith in (find this was the biggest help, and not going to tell you what since I am not you)... but continue to think positive, work towards goals, and climb that uphill battle!!! Easier said than done, I remember, and being pissed at those telling me to "keep your head up"... wanted to give them my cross to bare" and than ask how they liked it, Hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We went through a period like that a few years ago, it was so hard. DH and I stood together, tightened our belts, and decided that we would do what we could; housing, utilities, and food came first - everything else could wait. We lived with bill collectors calling constantly, but eventually were able to pull ourselves out. It takes time and patience. With DH and I supporting each other, it made it a lot easier to face all the adversity. Best of luck to you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Ahh... yes bill collectors... I am trying and I tell them that. Some are understanding and some are not. I just feel so ashamed of current position, my parents do not help it either(don't understand). We made up our minds that what taxes we get back will go toward bills and only bills and some in savings for backup. To the first poster, we are going to be doing a lot of not such normal suppers in the next two weeks. I just like to hear there is probably and end and that things will get better. I just wish, with my education I could get a job. Doing like retail and paying a sitter here does not pay off. Maybe I can find something on some evenings or some weekends. Littlefever what is your etsy business. I thought of trying that, but I am not fast. I love making wreathes and to crochet, but that takes money. I love baking and that, but not sure what I can do with that. I have business ideas, no money.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm sorry for what you're going through. Many people are in your same situation or worse just like your Hubby said. Know that everything happens for a reason. God has a plan for every one. You will definitely get though it. Everything is possible when you have Faith!

Best Wishes!
    www.ErikaCarrilloOnline.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2011