Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help for my dad! re: medical help with no insurance

My dad is in his 50's and has a really bad back. he has 5 collapsed disks and a bone spur almost tuching his spinal cord. He doesn't have any insurance and right now is unemployed due to his back. It was a work related injury but since it happened over time he couldn't provide a date of injury so couldn't get workmans comp. He has terrible back sspazms and takes alot of pain meds. I was wondering if there is anything out there that can help him. It kills me to see him in pain and not being able to get it fixed cause he has no insurance. Does anyone know? How can I help him?? PLEASE help!!

Answer Question

Asked by staciaw at 1:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

Level 9 (365 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Has he tried a chiropractor? My husband and sons have bad backs, and they have gotten a lot of help from the chiros. Most of them don't charge a big fee. You could call around and ask.


    Answer by NannyB. at 1:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • The first step would be to call your local Medicaid or Medi-Cal office and talk to them. They wiill tell you what you need to do to try to sign your dad up. If he is disabled from the back issue, this might entail having a doctor fill out an official form labeling him "diasbled" and unable to work. Once he is a part of the system, he will be able to get benefits to cover his medical needs.
    If he ever has an emergency, please keep in mind, that he cannot be refused service in an emergency room due to inability to pay. Just go to the ER.
    Good luck.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • What about Cobra insurance? or medical coupons? Yeah, it's welfare, but when you need help.....

    Answer by Rosehawk at 1:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • ~*Workers Comp*~ should be dealing with an on the job injury NOT unemployment!!! And it sounds like he might need a lawyer, because if he can't get back to work he'll probably need SSI? Still don't understand why he isn't on Worker's Compensation...

    Depending on the state you live in, apply for medicaide or Medical through the health office?!?! This is the kind of stuff it was designed to HELP!!! I know many might be like me, too much pride, but if you "need" it please do not care what others think!!! Is this injury going to be something that can be fixed with surgery or long term?

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • He said he tried for over a year to get on workmans comp but since the injury occured over years of working and he couldn't give them an exact date of injury they denyed him. He has talked to a few local doctors but we don''t have the greatest since even our larger neighboring town is still a small town. I think he needs to go see a better Dr in maybe Seattle or somewhere bigger.

    Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • You can sign him up for Medicare/Medicaid. Not sure which he'd qualify for if any. Though your local DHS office.
    You could also check into those medical plans they advertise on TV.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health

Next question overall (Money & Work)
HARD TIMES (I know I am not alone)