I came accross this on another site & need help...

Okay, I'll admit that I don't know as much about Mormon beliefs as I should. But I came across this on another site (another Q&A site actually) and would like to know how much of these are true and how much of them aren't even relevant...

Here is why we (Christians) don't like Mormon doctrine:

Errors in Mormon doctrine are as follow -
1.God was once a man like us.
2.God has a tangible body of flesh and bone.
3.God lives on a planet near the star Kolob.
4.God ("Heavenly Father") has at least one wife, our "Mother in Heaven," but she is so holy that we are not to discuss her nor pray to her.
5.Jesus was married.
6.We can become like God and rule over our own universe.
7.There are many gods, ruling over their own worlds.
8.Jesus and Satan ("Lucifer") are brothers, and they are our brothers - we are all spirit children of Heavenly Father
9.Jesus Christ was conceived by God the Father by having sex with Mary, who was temporarily his wife.
10.We should not pray to Jesus, nor try to feel a personal relationship with him.
11.The "Lord" ("Jehovah") in the Old Testament is the being named Jesus in the New Testament, but different from "God the Father" ("Elohim").
12.In the highest degree of the celestial kingdom some men will have more than one wife.
13.Before coming to this earth we lived as spirits in a "pre-existence", during which we were tested; our position in this life (whether born to Mormons or savages, or in America or Africa) is our reward or punishment for our obedience in that life.
14.Dark skin is a curse from God, the result of our sin, or the sin of our ancestors. If sufficiently righteous, a dark-skinned person will become light-skinned.
15.The Garden of Eden was in Missouri. All humanity before the Great Flood lived in the western hemisphere. The Ark transported Noah and the other survivors to the eastern hemisphere.
16.Not only will human beings be resurrected to eternal life, but also all animals - everything that has ever lived on earth - will be resurrected and dwell in heaven.
17.Christ will not return to earth in any year that has seen a rainbow.
18.Mormons should avoid traveling on water, since Satan rules the waters.
19.The sun receives its light from the star Kolob.
20.If a Gentile becomes Mormon, the Holy Ghost actually purges his Gentile blood and replaces it with Israelite blood.
21.A righteous Mormon will actually see the face of God in the Mormon temple.
22.You can identify a false angel by the color of his hair, or by offering to shake his hand.
23. Native Americans descended from the tribe of Ephraim.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hope you get some answers for those - right off the bat, #14 looks rather ridiculous. And skimming through, several more stand out as sounding awfully Chick Tract like.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Lol, is #14 why Michael Jackson got so light skinned?

I have NO CLUE on this question for real though. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I guess my real question - above all others - is are these really LDS teachings or beliefs??

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• And I also suppose #17 means that he will not appear if we see the OH MY GOD! DOUBLE RAINBOW thing again? ;)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Every religion has some beliefs that will seem "odd" to someone of another faith. It is important to keep in mind that the reason behind all "religions" is asically good . . . we all talk about not killing, not stealing, being honest, and helping others. That is what is important.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I want to say that at least some of those are what they believe...but not totally sure...they are a very...stick to their own kind of religion if you know what I mean. I lived in Utah almost 3 yrs and it's kinda hard to get past talking about the weather or what's on sale at the store or Twilight! I do know that at least in the past they had issues with dark skin( not sure of the reasoning)...and have heard more than once in different places about them believing they will become Gods or whatever, but I'm not sure how true any of this REALLY is...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Lets just live & let live & stop picking on each others beliefs. What is the point anyway? It just creates more hatred in the world.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Whose picking on anyone? Its a legtimate question about educating people who dont know.. thats what this forum is for. I know that a few of these are true (to the best of my knowledge number 14 was in the original teachings). A lot of the original teachings are no longer taught or practiced according to the mormons I have talked to they cannot be taught again because the modern mormons believe themselves to have become unworthy.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Ilovemypaulie - no one is picking on anyone! I simply want to know if these are really their beliefs or teachings and what the thinking behind them is. I found it interesting but want to know the truth rather than simply believe it because it was posted. This is what was posted by someone else on another site as to why he (and as he felt other Christians) didn't agree with the Mormon doctrine and I would like to know more...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

I don't see this post as "picking" on anyones beliefs. A lot of us here are interested in WHAT others believe and WHY- it has nothing to do with picking on them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011