Does anyone have any advice on helping my 9 yr old son with pos/pdd/aspergers focus on this and retain it?

Someone at his school said "I hate to say this (and then she did) you may want to consider drugs." How convenient for her but debilitating for him. What a dump thing for a Special Ed teacher to say. I thought that is why God gave us brains to figure this stuff out. I thought drugs were bad for kids. Oh only when the problem is inconvenient for you than the drugs are okay. I thought that is why people go to college and get degrees so they can teach this and avoid mind altering devices. Doesn't this kid have enough problems now you think we should lay some drugs on top of it?

myboyssull

Asked by myboyssull at 1:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• Both my kids have ADHD and are on meds. I know kids who have aspergers and meds help them. It's not always a negative. My kids are also in social skills counseling, which also helps. If it helps them I will use it. They don't have any side affects. You need to find a specialist who deals with these kind of kids and not your pediatrician.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I completely agree with you. As a mental health professional, I have seen many adults who are physically debilitated from a lifetime of psych meds.
    That being said, sometimes the benefits of certain meds can outweigh the risks . . .For instance, there are many kids who have been prescribed stimulants for periods of time for ADD, and they have not had any negative or long-term side effects.
    If you decide to explore the possibility, as a lot of question aout side-effects and long-term problems, and don't let anyone . . . doctor or not . . . push you into giving something to your child . . . you have the right to be informed and to make an educated decision.
    Sometimes the meds are necessary when the behavior is causing the child to not learn, not have frineds, to be aggressive, etc. At that point the benefits outweigh the short-term risks. But, some psychiatrists are, frankly, med happy, so ask around before you go.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my daughter is ADHD inattentive and may have Asperger'. they have her on medicine for the adhd to help her concentrate as her grades dropped. She is getting social counseling as well and they just tested her for Asperger. I cannot say there are no side effects of the medicine. i am well aware there is. they have specialist to deal with children with these kinds of needs. My daughter has to take melatonin to sleep that is her only side effect . Also , to forewarn you a child with Asperger or ADHD going through the puberty stage is harder for them. Also, i was reluctant to use medication with my daughter. my husband and i were offered a variety of choices meds or not, and a number of medications. We put her on with the lowest dose and least side effects. she takes it , and her grades improved. Momma only you know what is right for you and your child. Do not let anyone influence what you think is best
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011