Can walking cure depression?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lloyd-i-sederer-md/depression-treatment-_b_819798.html

"Practicing in Austria (in a region that is now part of the Czech Republic), Priessnitz gained fame throughout Europe, the UK, the New World, and as far as New Zealand for curing his patients by combining baths with vigorous exercise, adequate sleep and proper diet. Exercise consisted of long walks in fresh air or sometimes (the season permitting I suppose) walking barefoot in fields of grass.

What do they say? What goes around, comes around? Especially, what we could call 'the walking cure.'"

Walking barefoot in the grass sounds delightful to me ~ 

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• I don't know that it can "cure" severe cases of clinical depression, but I absolutely do believe that exercise can be part of a treatment plan for depression. Walking in the sunshine is particularly beneficial IMO. I think eating a nutritionally complete diet and getting plenty of exercise can significantly improve depression, particularly in those whose cases are not excessively severe.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't know about curing it all together but as long as you walk, specially long distances endorphins are released by your body that make you feel good, and if you feel good depression is not there...

Answer by older at 1:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I believe it. Exercise is great for feeling good. I notice a huge difference in myself when I go to the gym regularly, and when I stop. The thing is though, if you're depressed you need motivation or something to get you going in the first place.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I know in my case.. When Im angry or feeling depressed. I like to walk & burn of some of that built up energy. It also gives me time to reflect & sort out things in my head. Being by the water is nice too.. Omg.. Sooo soothing
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 1:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Well, exercising in general releases endorphins, which make you feel better. I know that I feel better when I exercise.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It will not cure your depression but it will make you feel better for the time being
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• walking may help with some of it but i am not sure it cures it. i have depression. with the weather and no car it gets worse. because i am stuck indoors. i cannot wait for Spring i know my road is not that safe to walk but i want to do something other then look at snow and the walls. i can only clean so much. and water like tiamesmer said is relaxing to.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011