Is it odd that im not upset that my 5 year old needs glasses?

My husband told me to get a second opinion, my oldest daughter is worried that she will be picked on..My 15 year old son has had them since he was 5 also..She is very excited to get them so i want her to think that its not a big issue..I feel that its necessary for her to have them to help her vision.She looks so beautiful and grown with them..I think what happened to my baby she is growing up so fast..

mimismom09

Asked by mimismom09 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it's odd. It is what it is and you accept that. You have a level head.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't think it is odd at all. My husband and I both wear glasses and our eye doctor has told us our daughter will most likely need them to, when this happens I don't think either of us will be the least bit upset.
    amlaity

Answer by amlaity at 1:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My middle son and oldest daughter both wear glasses and it doesn't upset me. My daughter (4th grade) was actually very excited to get them, she looks beautiful in them, and she prefers the way she looks with them on. The eye dr told her she didn't have to wear them all the time, but she wants to! She's had them for a year and has never been picked on for wearing them (although I can see where there might be some teasing in middle school, but by then I will let her get contacts if she wants them).

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Im just trying to teach her to accept things as they are. We have much bigger issues in life then to get upset at all the lil things..
    mimismom09

Comment by mimismom09 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• not at all especialy if that runs in your family..maybe you expected it! I know that some of mine will need them too! Without glasses or contacts i am BLIND!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think she will follow your lead, so it's good that you are not upset. If you think there's something wrong with it then she might think so also. There are many worse things that could happen in life, as you said, so this is small potatoes in comparison. (This comes from a glasses wearer, I got mine in fourth grade and no one made fun of me.)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My 8yo daughter has had glasses since she was 18 months. No one has ever made fun of her for her glasses. She thinks she looks adorable and so does everyone else. There are 4 other kids in her 2nd grade class with glasses, too. I was surprised because she's never had anyone in her class with glasses before.
    I've worn glasses since 4th grade and don't remember being made fun off. There was some good-natured teasing from friends but nothing malicious.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• can Imake your the best answer. Listen esp. w/ a fam. history of glasses... it is what it is. BOTH of mine need them and well, actually I just told both of them "welcome to the family". BOTH my parents wear glasses, esp. on my mom'sside.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011