Birth Control after Baby comes out?

What did you use? What do you think is best to use while breastfeeding?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 2:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• personally I use the paraguard IUD. It's as effective as having ur tubes tied....can stay in for up to 10 years....totally reversible (I had it after my first son for 3 years...had it removed and was preggo again 3 months later...and now I have it again after my 2nd baby)...and it has NO hormones so it won't affect your milk supply.
    logansmama

Answer by logansmama at 2:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Diaphragm. I worry it is not reliable enough, but so far so good.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Im getting my tubes tied im 41 and this one wasnt planned but am thrilled and therefore it will be the last lol
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I got a Mirena IUD at my 6 week PP appt. I never had any issues with my breast milk, but I know some women report having issues with it. It's a great option, as is Paragard. You can decide what's right for you with your doc, because they both have their benefits and drawbacks. I have a history of extremely heavy periods and cramps that knock me down, so Paragard isn't the best option for me. There's also a progesterone-only pill you can take that's as effective as any other birth control pill that won't affect your milk supply.
    Any non-hormonal method is a safe option, as well.
    Congratulations on your little bundle, and your decision to breastfeed! And good job being smart about birth control! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011