My kindergartener's teacher said she should be more self-motivated

my daughter "b" just came home with her second report card of this school year. all her "grades" improved since last report card. On the back the teacher said: "b" is doing well, academically, but she should be more self-motivated. My daughter is an active participant in all school related activities. she loves to draw, color, music class, art class, library. She is also involved in dance class. i would classify her as a very confident and capable child. So, my question is, what exactly did the teacher mean by that. What does she want me to do? what does she want my child to do? (my daughter is only 5) ??? help

elansing1979

Asked by elansing1979 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She means she wants her to do things on her own probably without prompting. Alot of young kids will have this issue. Basically she probably is not either starting work unless someone else tells her to or helps her start it. Or something like that. My dd is in kinder too and they expect them to do alot on their own by midterm since in 1st grade the teachers wont prompt nearly as much.

Answer by gemgem at 2:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you're unsure then call her. Most teachers love to get calls. They want to know that a parent is willing to try and help their child. Become active with her class and willing to help out if you can.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Call her and ask. But in the end don't worry about it! She's only in kindergarden!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011