What do healthy meat alternatives taste like?

In the stores I see all kinds of veggie burgers and other non-meat foods that are designed to taste/look like the actual meat. Most recently I was looking at an alternative to chicken nuggets and I cant even actually remember what is was made out of but it wasnt chicken. I noticed these items are considerbly more expensive and wondered if someone could describe to me what they taste like in comparison to actual meat. Any information about them would be great, because I dont want to spend the money until I know a little more about them. Are they really a healthier way to eat?

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 2:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I tried these healthy hot dogs its an alternate and I gagged on it I didn't eat it and was pissed because it wasn't cheap but it was gross
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't think they are very good. IMO, if you want to eat meat, eat the real thing, if you want to be a vegetarian, eat veggies.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't like foods masquerading as meat. I think they taste bad, plus they're filled with sodium and stuff on the label I can't pronounce. But I do like the Morningstar Farms black bean burgers, they're not masquerading as meat.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The faux meats are highly processed and not really healthy

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• its been a while but i really like the boca burgers. they have similar texture to beef pattie but actully taste imo better. less fat too. but nothing replaces a real burger to me. but occationally i would buy then and i liked them. never had chicken though.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• They are usually pretty good...they are said to be healthier because people are worried about cholesterol and consciences. They are however ussually made with presevatives and additives like sodium, high fructose cornsyrup, and hydronated oil. They are often more dry in texture. Surprizingly they seem quite simular to meat. For health reasons just eat smaller and less frequent portions of meat or go the beans and rice vegetarian way with these products as a treat.
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 2:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Morning Star products are all soy based, and they taste great, soy has no taste so it acquires whatever spices you put on them. Much healthier than any meat product, meat takes days sometimes for the body to digest it, and in some cases rots in your tummy

Answer by older at 2:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Chicken.
    Anonymous