What traditons has your church stepped away from to keep the church growing or what changes has it made to keep the church growing

My new church want all leaders and members to not dress up on easter Sunday we will be wearing kakhi and white. And on first sundays the missionaries will go back to wearing white.and on first sundays we learn love the Lord with all your heart and mind with all your spirit in hebrews

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My church (ELCA Lutheran) is allowing openly gay pastors to officiate. We lost some members over it. But I'm kinda proud of them.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• sfwilson my church is doing the same (ELCA Luthern as well) and is adopting an open policy for gays. unfortunatly i think our pastor kinda went about it wrong she showed a video about it during service and a few people actually left before service was over. i personally didnt think it was apporiate to show during church with small children present and should have been should to just members and church counsel after service or during a scheduled time. one lady that was sitting next to us left and i could see that she was quite upset over it. (we live in a very small community that is mainly older people but we do have some young families like us) i applaud that we are doing this but found it was approached in the wrong manner.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We had to go to 2 services as we grew. We now have a "traditional" first service with piano and a more "contemporary" with guitars for second. It's never mattered what you wear at our church. We have those that still dress up and then you have the farmer that comes straight from the barn. They also still teach from the Bible which I know sounds odd but some churches compromise their beliefs in order to attract people or become more politically correct. For us this has been the cornerstone since it was first built and the church has grown by standing firm.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am Catholic. Changes are few and far between. I like how my church sticks to her principles. I do wish they would get past the whole birth control thing though. Preventing pregnancy isn't the same thing as abortion.

The Easter thing is kind of weird though! The Catholic churches I have been to have people in all kinds of clothing...from really dressed up to scruffy homeless guy that comes every Sunday...and has the most beautiful baritone I have ever heard!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• laura- That does seem like the wrong approach. If the pastor wanted to show a video, yes, it should have been to counsel members (and they should have had fair warning). I'm from a really small town too, but we've always been a pretty liberal sect so I don't think most people were too riled.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Our church has added a "contemporary" service with upbeat praise songs and more casual dress in addition to two traditional services. We also have a lot of small group opportunities to form connections that are easy to lose in a large church. Also recently, we have started standing (if able) out of reverence for the Lord's word when the Bible is read.

Answer by missanc at 2:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• sfwilson well what made things worst was it was during a service where there was a visit from the local boyscout troop. knowing what the boyscouts have battled recently with gay troop leaders it really was inappropiate. she had forewarned us but it was supposed to be done after service during fellowship otherwise i would not have taken my kids to church that day. but she said during service that since she felt that not everyone would see it she wanted to show it during service. so it was a bit thrown on us.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am happy that the Catholic Church holds strong to her traditions and teachings, even in the midst of public scrutiny and disapproval. You don't change the teaching of God just to attract more people. There are very good reasons for all of Her teachings, including the ones on birth control and chastity within the sacrament of marriage. The fathers and mothers of our faith died for these Holy Traditions and I have been blessed to inherit such a rich and full faith that I can pass down to my children.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My church keeps it traditional. We sing all the old hymns, still use piano and organ, still use only the KJV.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• nothing. we've stayed with our beliefs, and don't plan to change it. we even still have 3 services a week. the pastor preaches what he feels the Spirit tells him to preach, we don't go by a "sermon organizer" book.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011