How do I teach my 3 yr old daughter to listen?

I have a 3 yr old daughter and she never listens to me. She is scared of her dad but he is deploying very soon and I don't want her to walk all over me when he is gone. Can anyone help?????

lilsxychcica121

Asked by lilsxychcica121 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried sticker charts everytime she listens the 1st time when the chart is filled up she gets a special prize. Or maybe for her if you dont have to repeat yourself over 3 times she gets a sticker for the 1st week then move it to listening the 1st time to get a sticker on the chart. Make sure when asking her to do something you stop and she stops what you doing and look her in the eye to tell her what it is.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you mean "listen" as in obey, you will have to make there be consequences for when she doesn't. If you give her a direct command and she does not obey you immediately, you have to handle that disobedience on the spot. I spanked my children for disobedience and disrespect, and I had very few problems with their ignoring what I said to them. I believe with all my heart that it is the most important thing we can teach our children--to respect our authority. That can then be transferred to others under whose authority they will come later in life. It worked out well for us. Our children are now 40, 37, and 33.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nanny b. I have spanked her multiple times over the same stuff. I have a 9 month old daughter also and she knows that when I am feeding her I can't do anything and that is when she is the worst. She will listen and stop doing whatever I told her not to do but then she goes right back to doing whatever she wants. We have a cat and a dog and she will not ever leave them alone. She likes to hit them and kick them. I started hitting her and showing her that it hurts them just as much as it hurt her but she still won't leave them alone. At least she stopped hitting them.
    lilsxychcica121

Comment by lilsxychcica121 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I try very hard and she is 7 and back talks and is disrespectful and I discipline on thee spot, it never seems to work with her. I don't know if it's the adhd or she flat out doesn't care.

It is hard but good luck!!
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 2:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Has she always not listened or has it happened since new baby came? I have a now 1yr old and my 4yr old was very jealous when she came last yr. She went threw a not listening phase i would just put her in timeout for 4 mins. and explain that i love her very much but when baby needs to eat mommy has to feed her. We would play I-spy while i fed baby that seemed to help since she was still giving her attention. She also spends alot of time at my moms since she starts kindergarten next year i told her she could spend the night whenever she wants and grandma says its ok. LOL ......I would never spank/hit her theres other ways to displine plus im a baby and would feel bad lol
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Well i think it all started with the fact that I lived with my mom when I had her and my mom would let her do whatever she wanted. If I said no she would go to my mom and ask her and of course being gma she would let her do whatever she wanted. So I think it has been that way since she was born. I try to stay quiet when I feed the baby just in case if she does fall asleep. She is very touchy when it comes to loud noises. I try to do time outs but if I tell her to go to time out she screams and I don't want her to wake up my baby. I just don't know what to do
    lilsxychcica121

Comment by lilsxychcica121 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my son loves a chart.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my mom makes her ask me 1st and then gets the answer from me not her. If its something stupid like she wants a piece of candy before lunch and i say no I know my mom is gonna sneak her a small piece i dont care. But other things its what i say goes. My baby was sensitive to noise too but we would whisper. Its really really hard at that age with a new baby. Maybe take away snacks after dinner if shes not listening. Does she eat a lot of junk all day? Try the charts you could print up fun ones online. My DD prize was a trip to chuckie cheese (she had a bedtime chart where she had to stay in bed all night) it had 30 squares to fill but after the 1st week i took her to the $1 store to pick something out then she had to fill up the rest for the big prize.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• She is not aloud to eat junk food. No candy, chips, nothing bad for her. not even juice. She gets water. I don't have a problem with her staying in bed or staying in her room. Nothing like that.l just can't ever get her to listen to me. Like now. She is playing on her dads work out stuff. Inhave told her at least ten times to never touch it. What does she do as soon as we come in here???? Goes right to it. Drives me crazy.
    lilsxychcica121

Comment by lilsxychcica121 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011