Meal ideas (what you and your family eat on a small grocery budget)

Lately we average about 120 a week on groceries. I really need to cut that back. I need ideas for meals that are okay to eat for dinners. So any ideas for cheap, but good meals? I have a family of 5 (three small girls). I do get WIC for the three girls. I do though have a DD with several food allergies (hence the higher grocery bill). I do bake a lot of my own things such as cookies, bagels, and sometime bread. I am just curious what others do when they don't have much money for groceries some weeks. I know we are not the only ones having hard times.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My cheapest meal ideas:

scrambled eggs, grits, and fresh fruit
    black eyed peas (made from dried beans) with onions and peppers and cornbread
    pasta w/ marinara

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I make a lot of meals that can be repurposed - for example I roast a large chicken and we have roast chicken for dinner the first night. The next night I shred the leftover meat and we have chicken enchiladas. The next night I use the carcass and a few veggie extras to make a stock that we use for soup with the remainder of the meat.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Dried beans are a wonderful inexpensive meal and they are very high in nutrients.  .

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• we have no allergies but i just went shopping for the whole month and spent 260$ our menu for the month is speggetii, sloppy joes, lasana, porkchops, tuna helper, baked chicken, and sweet and sour chicken with fried rice, and pizza as an alternative.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It's hard but I stock up extra one can at a time.If soup is normally 2 for $1 and it's on sale for 3 for $1 I'll buy 6 and put the rest back. Once I build my stock up my possibilities expand on what I can cook. One thing I do is we have Chili soup one night the next it may have the swirly noodles added and the next turned into taco salad. All with fruit, bread, etc as sides.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Tuna helper, black bean soup, grilled chicken and rice, frozen veggies with chicken or tilapia fish, crunchy tacos, chicken soup with rice and frozen veggies, hot dogs, veggie burgers(super quick to make), baked potatoes, meatloaf, rice a roni with chicken, ghoulash, pot roast in a slow cooker, enchiladas. I also use rotisserie chicken for soups, tacos, enchiladas,etc.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm on social security and I spend 20.00 a week for just me. i eat yogart, peanut butter and crackers and juicy juice usually.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 2:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can make large quantities of things and freeze them for the future; that way you're able to buy meat and other items in bulk and save money (plus it saves you time in the long run).
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 3:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I rarely buy dried beans because at my altitude it takes so long for them to cook that I feel it's a waste of gas to simmer them for 5 or 6 hours. SO I buy big cans instead...

Take a look at using GROUND TURKEY instead of ground beef. Turkey is about $1.25 per pound--you can even buy it at WalMart--and it works great in Spaghetti, Tacos, or anything that is seasoned. We'll even mix it half and half with beef if we're making hamburger patties. WAY CHEAP and less fat, too.

With 3 kids, don't waste your time with the small cans of anything anymore. Purchase the gallon size of fruit and vegetables then plan to use them in two or three days. Saves a lot of money and the used cans are fun to use with craft projects at schools...

Also, make all your soups and stews from scratch and save bundles!

Have fun!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011