My dd is 20 months old and I need to stop the "nighttime binky". Please help with suggestions...

At 12 mo the dr said that it is okay that she is taking the binky, but to try and limit the use. My husband and I started to only give it to her at sleep time (night time and nap). Once she falls asleep, we have been taking it out of her mouth... for about 8 months now. Occassionally she will wake in the middle of the night and cry/whine until we go in and give it to her. Recently we started to leave it in the crib after we took it out. She would find it herself in the middle of the night and sooth herself back to sleep.

However, this week, she has been waking in the middle of the night and screaming bloody murder cries. Each time I go in her room she is standing in the crib and pointing across the room saying "inky, inky?" She keeps throwing it out of the crib. The other night I played hardball and said, no more binky. You threw it out of the crib no more. Well at 2 am, she cried for just about an hour before I went in and gave it to her. I was hoping she would fall asleep and that would be the end of the binky use. The midnight binky tossing has continued over the past few days, several times throughout the night.

I told my husband last night that we really NEED to cut the binky from her. She doesn't take it at the sitters to go to sleep, just at home with us. Please give some suggestions.

Some people suggest cold turkey and just take it away and let her cry herself to sleep. I am nervous that she will cry for over an hour and be beat red, and not fall asleep.

Someone else suggested giving her a sippy cup of water at bed and removing the binky. But I know that is a bad routine to start due to tooth decay with juices and milks in bed.

Another person said to toss it in the garbage with her and let her see that there is no more binky. I am nervous that at bed time she won't make the connection and is too young to comprehend that.

Finally, someone said that they cut the nipple of the binky each night shorter and shorter until it was gone. They said their child stopped using it all together bc it was "broken". Not sure the safety of this method though...

We are expecting twin boys in 6 weeks and I was going to let her keep the sleeptime binky until she grew used to the new babies. But, now that it is a fun game for her at night, I want to cut it. It needs to be stopped anyway. I feel there will be too much change when the new babies come and the binky should be removed prior to that.

PLEASE share your experience. Oh, and I think I am going to NOT let the twins use the binky! causes way too much stress! LOL!

Sorry so long winded, this is really eating at my mommy soul. I don't know what to do and really am hoping that some mommy out there is experienced with this. Please keep in mind that she is 20 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really can't think of anything you didn't mention. If you're giving a sippy cup with water you don't have to worry about tooth decay - water won't cause decay. With my first, we just took it away one night when he was 2 because he was doing the same thing your daughter is doing. He did cry for a while that night, but then he never asked for it again. My 4th just quit on his own when he was 20 months and my daughter was born - he saw that she had one and I think he thought that pacis were for babies, so he quit using his.

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I went the cold turkey route with mine. I'd let her cry for maybe 5 minutes before going in and soothing her but NO BINKY! Then return to bed and wait for the next crying. It took 2 nights and that was it for me. It's hard and I actually had to do it when DH was gone from the home for a couple of nights. He can't stand hearing her cry. I have to admit that for me it was well worth it. She actually found one the other day and brought it to me and said "don't want" and we threw it away.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011