Is now the right time to wean??

So my daughter is 15 months today and we went for her well baby check up. She gained .4 pounds in the last month or two. I was told after 12 months she really wouldn't benefit from breastfeeding any longer an would need more than my milk. Since she was 12 months old I have introduced both whole milk and soy. She really likes the whole milk now but it has taken a couple months. At 14 months I introduced baby meats. She had been eating sweet potatoes, peas and other such baby foods from around 12 months and didn't take to them. She has taken to the meat and really prefers stage 2. Stage 3 she doesn't eat well, it gags her and I assume its because of the chunks. Today at the docs office her pediatrician told me that I need to stop breastfeeding at night since she would wine and I would feed her. Besides once during the day, night is usually the only time she feeds. Are we ready to just stop? Have I introduced enough food?

1stTimeMommy101

Asked by 1stTimeMommy101 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is your opinion. By 15 months old, my kids were eating the foods me and DH were eating. No baby foods and only sippy cups.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would say to wean her completely when you both are ready. Also..maybe you can try giving her the same foods you eat..just cut up very small. Maybe she would like that better than the baby foods?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Our daughter is the same age as yours. And honestly she has been weaned since her first birthday. She loves whole milk, she eats basically everything we eat and she has been doing well. I think from what you've introduced to her she would do just fine.

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 2:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have given her little bits of "big" people food and she does like it MUCH better than the baby food. I just thought I had to take all these extra steps to get her system used to the food. Should I just start mashing all the foods we have for dinner including the meats?? And since she only feeds really around her nap time (around 1-3pm) and then at night to put her to bed and throughout some of the night when she wakes up...do you think "cold turkey" would be okay? She is eating a lot of other foods and I think its more of soothing thing than anything else. Going through this big step scares me!! lol
    1stTimeMommy101

Comment by 1stTimeMommy101 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thank you all so much for your comments! Would anyone have any good tips of drying up besides the cabbage? I am thinking ill just "grin and bear" it =) but I also want to make sure I don't get any infections or anything!
    Thanks so much!!! =)
    1stTimeMommy101

Comment by 1stTimeMommy101 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would definitely start introducing regular food to her, she doesn't need the baby food at this age, just watch her to make sure nothing is upsetting her tummy but she should be fine. My DD loved rotiesserie chicken at this age, and pasta, potatoes, etc. If I were you I would separate the two issues- getting her more food and weaning her are two separate things in my opinion, especially since it doesn't really sound like she is filling up on breast milk all day long and therefore not eating. I would work on finding foods she likes. If you want to wean, too, that is up to you. Your body will probably be ok if you go cold turkey but if your DD throws a fit then try cutting out the day time nursing first, then weaning her off the night feeding. Kids also gain at different rates and ages so she may have a bigger jump in weight the next few months and it all evens out, too. Basically, wean when you feel it's the right time. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2011