How do I save money as a stay at home mom? I need advice

I just quit my career today as a counselor so I could stay home with my 1 yr old daughter and help take care of my pregnancy better without any stresses! It's a very long story as why I quit. But I was wondering what are ways of saving money? Here are my bills

Rent and water together is $832 a month
car insurance is 210 bucks a month
Gas is 80 dollars a month
Cable is 40 a month
cell phones right now 300 a month, but we are cutting the contract back to like 60 a month :)

Internet is 50 a month

We are getting food stamps
And my husband smokes cigs 80 every 2 weeks

checking 40
savings? Never know

dr bills 60 a month

Any sugesstions how to save money? I really need some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Just for Fun

• OMG I so feel your pain! 4 years ago we we're in the same boat + we had $27,000 in Credit card debt. I wrote an article on 10 ways for Moms to save money recently... Here's the link... http://www.internetceomoms.com/mlc/article/10-ways-to-save-money-in-the-new-year

Sabrina

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 2:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• one big one is to convince DH to quit smoking... you'll probably not spend as much on gas now that you are home, COUPONS!!!! watch your circulars and match sale prices with them, find someone to get and pass on hand me down toys, clothes etc, thrift shops, cut down going out, you;ll find that you wont spend as much on work clothes either! GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thank you :) I know staying home I am saving a lot! And I'm not stressed soo bad!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• you getfood stamps yethubby smokes alot....hmm good use of your money.
    Anonymous

• One other thing you can do is get rid of your cable. You would save so much by using a converter box and rabbit ears.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The cigarettes GOT to go,hon.It doesnt make any sense that you get to use food stamps yet he smokes. Also,I would look for a better deal with the cable or better still cut it out completely for a few months...
    whiskey80

Answer by whiskey80 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• clip coupons, run all your errands in one day to save gas, learn canning and freezing,get all florescent bulbs and inplug at night, go to marlboro.com and register ..they'll send coupons, take an online drivers ed course and send to car insurance if they take for discount, find what other ways the car insurance will discount your insurance or find someone cheaper...you know if you are home you are going to save on gas and wardrobe and beauty products, use cloth diapers and make your own baby wipes, get water saver showerheads, turn off water between brushing, only dry your clothes for 20-30 minutes and then hang dry them the rest of the way, I get all my personal care and household nonconsumable products for free from the wellness company..change your air filter monthly, buy fruits and veggies in season to save big on $$,keep the air in your tires regulated saves gas, walk more than drive. make it from scratch.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Get rid of the cigarettes for one thing. That will be a huge savings. Get rid of your cable. Use coupons. Shop at thrift stores for clothes. Most of our clothes come from thrift stores. Sometimes, we get brand new things with tags still on them. Sign up on your local freecycle group. A lot of store brand foods are just as good as the name brand. Go through your closets, basement, garage, etc. and look for things that you can sell on ebay or craigslist. That will kill two birds with one stone, getting rid of clutter and making a little bit of money.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh another way we save is by buying meats, frozen veggies, etc. when they are on sale and stocking up our freezer.

You can also borrow DVD's from the library instead of renting them.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ps....yes we got rid of cable and use the converter box for the HD TV and we have Netflix. We enjoy it way more have extra $$ we miss the history and science channel but we still have PBS. If you have like Playstation 3 or Xbox you can download movies right to your TV. Also find an local unlimited prepaid phone service. they usually provide everything you pay so much for on contract. Like here its $40 a month.and every family member is $5 off each phone.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011