What's Your Opinion?

IMO, many people are hyper-focused on entitlement programs, as if these programs are at the root of the disastrous US economy. What about the decisions and policies that have been made (and continue to be made) that negatively impact our country? What about the change in trade over the last 30 years? What about the loss of jobs d/t to the trade imbalance?

What about the change (in the 80s) from the US being the #1 world importer of raw materials, exporter of finished goods and creditor to the exact opposite (low exporter of manufactured goods and a debtor nation).

The latter concerns me far more than the lazy, irresponsible welfare queen. Am I in the minority?

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 2:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It isn't just welfare PA entitlements.

It is the horrendous mismanagement of funds. To many cronies put into government desk jobs, while leaving a shortage of boots on the ground jobs. The extensive waste just knows no bounds.

The feds take over dept of education and education goes to hell. Almost all of our advancements were started by people who were educated before the gov decided it needed it's dirty paws in education.

War on poverty created a whole new entitlement system and poverty has been on the rise since. When it was started poverty was on the decline.

I could go on with this but I think you likely get my point.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• People choose entitlements caus they are an easy target and they love to tow the line.

Nobody wants to talk about things like trade or manufacturing because they can't be boiled down to simple talking points.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I worry about both. Not so much the entitlement, but the fraud and redundancy of programs that add to the waste. That said, I don't have any idea of how to curb the waste beyond more government intrusion to those that utilize the entitlement programs.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I'm not hyper focused on the poor. Heck we are five bucks a year over being poor at this point. I only posted that blog piece because I had mixed feelings about it...on one hand, I felt really bad for her, and then, when I started adding the numbers up in my head, there's no way that kind of spending could have been sustained, and I started to get a little upset.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It's possible to be concerned about both you know.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Saying people are liars is pretty rude. Even if you don't actually use the word liar.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Sister- you and I must be of the same generation so to speak- growing up my Uncle was the CEO of a good sized company-he in no way lived or made what the current CEO is making in relation to those that work for him. Its crazy! I also grew up with a few pro-atheletes: back then they had jobs selling cars or real estate in the off season and lived among the rest of us- not so anymore.

I think about the school where I work- the Principal makes about 50% more (if that) than a teacher- she is in charge of a huge budget-has a staff of 70 and is responsible for the education of 600 kids- convert a similar type of workload to the private sector and she would be making 500% more than the next average worker in her business.

The gap is widening and getting worse and its not good for most of us.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Agree! But its easier for some to blame the poor. who make NONE of the decisions that have caused our economic stresses!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't think you are in the minority. It's true that entitlement programs do make up a very large portion of US monetary obligations.
    It is my opinion however that these programs are not the problems. Fraud, waste and abuse within those systems are a big part of it and discretionary spending is a big part of the debt too. The people who truly need the programs I have no problem paying for, and I don't mind paying taxes-I do however have a problem paying taxes and more taxes when I get little to nothing in return and certainly the Feds haven't gotten any more efficient over the years.Trade has always been an issue for me, and buying friends. Becoming an Isolationist sounds more and more attractive everyday. Cutting off China, and cutting the heads off of the pigs feeding at the trough is priority 1 for me. Maybe Santa will get my letter in 2012.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Corporate welfare,,outsourcing, tax loopholes.

----

I'm more concerned with these things ^^^^^ (as well as debt, that we have less manufacturing, our dwindling middle class, that we really have a plutocracy, that corporations are being treated as individuals and not paying their fair share of taxes, etc) than I'm worried about 'entitlement' programs. I don't know if you're in the minority; I know sometimes it feels like a minority, but you're definitely not alone in your concerns.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011