How do I save money while grocery shopping? I don't work so I can prepare meals now!

I want to do home-cooked meals but that are still simple and easy.

So what foods should I not buy since I will be home everyday with my 2 kids? Thank you? ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I work and make all home cooked meals...We eat very healthy andI work FT and have 3 kids.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't know. I work full time and make all home cooked meals too. I guess there isn't really a difference. We made a list of food we all liked. Everyone contributed, and we get the grocery ads and choose the meals from the list that match up with the sale items.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 3:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Look for meals that you can stretch - for example, I roast a large chicken the first night, shred some of the leftover meat and make chicken enchiladas another night and then use the carcass and some veggie scraps to make a good stock and then use the rest of the meat to make chicken noodle soup.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Don't forget about BAKING! You can make scratch biscuits instead of buying 'fridge roll biscuits. You can buy a bread maker or make your own from scratch for pennies. (Bread is up to $5.00 a loaf in our area for the "good" stuff from the store!) Make your own pancakes and crepes. Make your own tortillas. ANYTHING premade at the store containing flour, I tend to make myself at home... Takes lots of practice on certain things, but even the disappointments are fun and tasty to eat!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Buy foods that you know will get eaten, even if the brand is not on sale. I HATE spending money on foods that won't get eaten because they taste horrible. I would rather spend the extra money and know it will get eaten. Look for sales, I work at Piggly Wiggly and we are havign an amazing meat sale Fri and Sat. New York strips for $4.99 a lb. Ground chuck, $1.99 a lb. Chicken breasts $1.89 a lb. Can't guarantee it is at other Pigs, but a lot of stores have these sales every couple of months. THe strips are normally $12 a lb.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can make beef stew, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, meatloaf, if u cook in bulk it will save money because you'll have left overs and you can freeze some foods
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011