What do I need to know about being a stay at home mom now?

I don't work anymore so what do I need to do? I want to know what to expect and how to save money? ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• The biggest difference is in your lack of income. I find plenty to do, there's never a shortage of things to clean or do around here. (c: Also, try looking for some sites with homemaking ideas - those will help you save money.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Hi! Being a SAHM is fun! You get to spend more time with your kiddos, have a bit more flexibility. I wrote an article with 10 tips to help moms save money: http://www.internetceomoms.com/mlc/article/10-ways-to-save-money-in-the-new-year

Just some things that have helped our family through the past few years.

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 3:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• first dont think that u have to stay all day in home, go walk or do something fun for you, because the cleanning doesnot end........
    jazz03

Answer by jazz03 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Do everything you have always wanted to do with your kids but couldn't because you had to work. Have lots of fun and enjoy the time you have to stay home with your kids.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you are going from two incomes to one it will be extremely different. You will need to learn to budget everything! When I went from working full time to being a stay at home mom I found it very difficult. I hated it at first because the last thing I wanted to do was clean but if you stay busy and get yourself on a routine (for me this was very important) you will feel much better with the transition. Also, make sure you stay in contact with other moms. I used to go out on mommy play dates once a week and even brought my daughter to the local library for reading time. My child was only around 9-10 months when I did these things so it was more for me than for her. She couldn't exactly run around and play at the park and really wasn't into the crafts and reading time but it was only 30 minute. Like I said, these things were more for me. Make sure you take time for yourself. Its easy not to =) Good luck!!!!
    1stTimeMommy101

Answer by 1stTimeMommy101 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Wow... Um, there is a lot. Most of it is just organizing and managing your time. When I stop to think about advice, my head spins. I have done it all... work pt and ft and sahm. Right now I am sahm of 5... except we are living with my inlaws, and my bil and sil live here as well.. so since everyone else works, I am a sahm for a house of 11!!

the two biggest things.. plan a menu and stick to it, and cook from scratch as much as possible. And do laundry every day. I do about 4 loads a day. shirts, pants, everything else, and 'extra" extra can be sheets, towels ect... whatever is on my schedule for the day.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• oh yeah... and have something outside of the home just for you... be it a girls group, or activity..with other adults... if you don't, don't be supervised if you start listening to the news station and talking to the news anchors because you desperately crave human interaction....
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011