How do some ppl get so much back in taxes and others get NOTHING!

i have a business from home don't make much and hubbby works together we make under 50000.(that's with me only making 8000 and this year will be way less like 5000).. we might bring home maybe if we are lucky 1000. the year my son was born and I didn't work at all we brought home under 5000

this lady I work for makes as much as my hubby does with 2 kids and brings home 8000 in tax refund!!! WTH why does she get so much and we get nothing??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• She may do like my dads does he has his company take out more than normal for taxes so he can get a bigger return at the end of the year.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My husband claims has more taxes taken out during the year. He claims 1 dependent instead of 4.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Earned Income Credit bullsh*t!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• She also may have more in deductions like charity, mortgage interest, childcare, and stuff...
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• we claim married and 0 and there is 4 of us and still don't get much back at all last year we had to pay into state
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes - some of it depends on how many dependents you list. If you list more than you have, then they take out less money and you have more throughout the year, but have to pay in at tax time. If you list the right amount then it's fairly even and the amount you pay in/get back is minimal. If you list less dependents than you have, they take out more money so you have less throughout the year but get a large refund (not a smart option, since you can save and invest that money throughout the year as opposed to letting the government use it interest free)

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I used to get hardly anything back and then went to a professional that my mom knew. We ended up get almost $8,000 back! She showed me things that I had missed. This was almost 7 years ago and she has since moved to WI. I still package everything up and ship them UPS to her. It's only $75 total and that's with her doing my state taxes as well.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can only claim three depends on the EIC so it isnt that to the moron who thinks it is.. we have five kids and we dont get a ton back either.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• you can set up your taxes for the government to take out more during the year and then you get a bigger refund. Ask your tax advisor how.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 3:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i know we r already only claiming married and 0 and we have 2 kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011