How

we get a 100$ from the gov. for food.
we get wick
and we go to the food pantry every other week.
our 100 $ a month will be gone as soon as our taxes get back.

i get paid if were busy a hundred a week.

How do i plan grocery shopping.. what to eat. etc. i am just starting this and not sure how to begin!
Help me please

also it's only me my hubby and our 3 year old. we need to eat healthier.
My son also goes to daycare m-f and he gets lunch there.

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 3:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well thats not a not of $ to buy food with but you can make it work. You have $25.00's per week plus your wic food right? So each week plan to go to the grocery store. Buy the necessities only! Things like spaghetti are great for left overs and are inexpensive to make. I know there are tons of coupon sites out there too where you can download/print coupons and look at your local stores sales before you go shopping and get the coupons to take off additional cost.

Good Luck!

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 3:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Dried beans are a great source of protein and very inexpensive, plan two meals based on those per week. Also, if you focus on stews/soups for a couple of other meals, that can make meat really stretch. Eggs are another good protein choice that are not that expensive. Frozen veggies can often be found on sale for $1/pound and many root and squash veggies are really healthy and inexpensive. Brown rice is also pretty cheap.

I second csmsand's "Good Luck!"
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Look for inexpensive but nutrient-rich choices like beans,brown rice, whole grain pastas, and frozen fruits and vegetables. The cheapest meat is probably frozen chicken. Also, utilize coupons for take-out food . . . . sometimes that winds up cheaper than making something.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Lots of good advice for you already on inexpensive items that are still healthy, filling and nutritious. I would also recommend you google Angel Food Ministries. They sell low-cost boxes of food to feed families and may be a good resource for you. Good luck and hang in there. Your budget is tough but you CAN find healthy option to feed your family.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh, another thing I thought of is to buy powdered milk which you can use for sauces, cooking, etc and is much cheaper than fresh milk. I believe skim milk also has more calcium than the other options.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

cont

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There isn't anybody at the WIC office who can help you come up with a plan? I thought that was one of the purposes of the program--to help families eat more healthy. Don't skip any meetings and if they don't answer your questions, ask. There should be someone able to help you both nutritionally and with a budget.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011