Do you let your kids pee on the side of the road or make them wait till they make it to the town?

Of course when you are on a long distance route with no rest stops in the middle of nowhere.
My boy cousin who is 12 seems needing a pee all the time and is allowed to go behind a tree!
His sister who is a year smaller once whispered to me that she has to go but she had to wait 2 hours because of her mom's rule.

jennnifer26

Asked by jennnifer26 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I try to teach my kids to obey common courtesy and local laws. Most areas have laws against public urination. I understand a true emergency, but by the time a kid is 12, they should be able to plan their beverage consumption to account for rest stops.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Um, a 12 year old should be able to "go" before they leave and be able to hold it until the next rest stop or restaurant. Urinating by the side of the road is icky.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 3:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would actually fins and empty water bottle, and let them go. (I would cover them from view inside the car). Totally not a fan of making someone hold it in. Not good for your urinary tract.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• on a road trip? If it is 25 or more miles to the nearest stop I would let them pee outside, boy or girl
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree that boy or girl if its going to be awhile, let them go, it hurts and they can't help it. I have had to pee in woods before when nature called. I don't agree its okay for anyone boy or girl to unnecessarily just pee because they want to outside in open. If you can to get to a bathroom great and if not, then go.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 8:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I guess my parents were true hillbillies, because, being from small town Nebraska, whenever we traveled my sister and I would always have to pee and my parents had a roll of biodegradable toilet paper in the car glove box and we would just pull of the side of the road.  My sister and I wouldn't pee outside at home or anywhere else, it was only done on roadtrips.

heidit1984

Answer by heidit1984 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011