If you haven't met your MIL because she lives abroad. How would you introduce yourself for the first time? phone, letter, email, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• I was in this situation. My MIL lived in Mexico, me in the states. She doesn't use a computer, so email was out of the question. I didn't know enough Spanish at the time to communicate with her so phone call was out. I had my husband webcam with her so I could talk to her with his help in translating. I really got to know her though when I moved here. It wasn't awkward when we first met either, she came up to me with a big hug at the airport asking me if I was hungry or tired and taking my toddler from me because she knew I was exhausted after a 14 hour flight.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think a nice email with photos attached followed by a phone cal l to personalize it would be great.

Answer by older at 3:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My mil does not have access to a computer and, to me, mail impersonable. I have talked to my MIL in the phone. We want the same things for her son and our kids (her grand kids), so we get along. I'm also big on helping them when we can, when they need it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Phone!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Or web cam? That would be really nice if you both were comfortable enough for that.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I wrote a hand written letter, she loved and appreciated it. People never take the time to write letters or random cards anymore- its all electronic. Being old school, she liked the letter and wrote back..we wrote several letters before meeting in person finally (she lives across the country), and now we talk on the phone weekly.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011