Getting dog ready for baby, what steps are you taking?

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i get all my friends who have babies to bring them to my house and introduce them and get them to play with her and keep her involved so she doesnt feel left out...plus i have a 3 yr old who keeps her pretty occupied so that helps
    mama2r

Answer by mama2r at 3:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree with PP>that's a great idea!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 4:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Honestly, when I brought my son home 2 1/2 years ago, my dogs had never really been around kids.... But we never had any problems. They were curious at first, but never showed any kind of aggression. When my son started crawling around, they avoided him like the plague, because he'd yank on their tails and ears, or sit on them, heh. Now that he's older, they're pretty much glued to his side, because he likes feeding them. I think when your dogs recognize you as the alpha, you really shouldn't have any issues.

Either way, the most important thing to remember is that you should never ever EVER leave a baby alone with your dogs, no matter how wonderful and mellow the dog is. It's still a dog, and when cornered, it will react like one.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011