How do u potty train a puppy?

My hubby gave me my early valentines gift. Its a small puppy. But I have no clue how to potty train him. We got him on sunday and the next day when I woke up there was shit all over my kitchen floor..we have a dog house for him and pads but he wont go near them at all...can someone tell me how do I get for my puppy to use the restroom on the pads?

Espinosa

Asked by Espinosa at 3:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Well do you want him to go outside or on the pads?

Take the puppy outside every hour. When it goes potty give it a treat a lots of hugs and kisses.

Don't just leave food and water out all day or uppy will have to go potty all day. Give puppy food and water in the am...take her out to go potty 1/2 later. Giver her some water in the middle of the day, take her out 1/2 hour later. Give food and water out at dinner, take her out 1/2 later,

Don't punish her for going potty in the house, she won't understand why she getting in trouble, you'll just hurt her feelings.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• well this is my first time having a dog of my own...never done this before..the puppy is a inside dog so for now I just want the puppy to use the restroom on the pads. I know some dogs scratch the door to let u know that they need to go use the restroom but with this one it doesnt tell me, I guess cuz its still a baby.
    Espinosa

Comment by Espinosa (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would suggest placing the puppy and the pee pads in one small room which can be gated off. I think having the puppy have full run of the house would be too confusing. This way if he is in one room he will learn much easier. We taught our puppy by gating her off in the kitchen. The back door was right in our kitchen, so this helped with learning to go outside for bathroom outings. If or when your puppy uses the pads praise him. Usually with puppies soon after they eat they should use the bathroom. So, maybe feed the puppy and then take him outside. So that he can get use to using the bathroom outdoors. Hopefully this will help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you want the puppy to go to the door to let you know it wants out, you will have to train it to do so. I always crate train mine as puppies. They sleep in the crate and stay in there anytime we leave the house. They also go in there when I can't fully watch them. This keeps them from pottying on the floor and from chewing on things they shouldn't. First, feed the puppy a high quality puppy food (NOT anything from Purina, Pedigree, Iams/Eukanuba, Hill's/Science Diet, Ol' Roy...check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for ratings). Put the puppy on a feeding schedule and feed 2-3 times/day...just look at the feeding guidelines and divide by # of feedings. Take the puppy out about 10-15 minutes after it eats, as soon as it wakes from naps and first thing in the morning, and last thing before bed. Stay outside with the puppy and give it a command like "go potty". When it potties outside, praise like crazy.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• ...continue...

If the puppy doesn't potty, take it and put it back in the crate for 10 minutes. After it potties, it can be allowed to roam the house as long as you can keep an eye on it. If you catch it pottying in the house, make a loud noise and/or say NO firmly, then take it straight outside. Do not ever spank or rub its nose in it as that will just teach the puppy to fear you and/or sneak off somewhere to do its business.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• CollinBayleeMom has it right! You can join the group "Dog Speak" for more helpful information!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i take my puppy out every hour or so and when im not home she goes in her kennel maybe you have to put him in a kennel at night?
    TeenMommy2012

Answer by TeenMommy2012 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2011