Is blu cheese a soft cheese?I

I'm 16wks pregnant and ate a buffalo ckn flatbread from wawa for lunch today then I remembered I'm not suppose to eat soft cheese.... but is blu cheese even a soft cheese??? I'm not sure

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 3:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is a soft cheese. Y can't u eat soft cheese?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yes. I ate soft cheese on occasion during my 2nd pregnancy though... I just love feta and blue and gournay.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Soft cheeses, meaning made from non-pasterized dairy products are more likely to carry the bacteria listeria which can be lethal for the fetus
    marchma2b

Comment by marchma2b (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• from what i understand the "blue" in that cheese comes from tiny little dead bugs that eat the bacteria in the cheese. i love blue cheese, and i do think it is a soft cheese, don't worry until there is something to worry about and just stay away from it for now. gl!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ok so i think if you only eat every once and while you will be ok.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Do you think all cultures have the same pregnancy food concerns that ours does? Nope! Japanese women eat tons of fish, Italians and Germans eat cold processed cold cuts...

Just be rational about what you eat, but don't stress over it! (I love Blue cheese, and not even a pregnancy can keep me away from it!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you must do the soft-cheese thing, just make sure it says "Pasteurized" on the label. That way the potential germies will have been processed away.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• In the US ****ALL**** dairy products are pasteurized, unless they have a HUGE warning label stating that they are not.

Unpasteurized does not mean dangerous, in fact, the process of pasteurization was never intended to be used for "safety". It is a process of preservation, and destroys most of the nutrients in out food. Hence the reason that when you read an ingredient label is says "vitamins A&D added".

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There are lots of brands of blue cheese that are made from pasteurized milk. Yes they are still soft but they are safe. I wouldn't order it from a restaurant but if you want to go to the store and read the packages they tell you which ones are pasteurized.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes it is a soft cheese, but just don't overdo it and you should be fine.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 4:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011