Can you spoil a 3 month old??

I ask because my son Chris, who will be 3 months on the 13th. Acts like he already spoiled, he wants to be held ALL the time. If I walk out of the room to go pee or check the laundry or anything more then a minute by the time I get back he is crying.
If he is how can I get him out of this?
If this isn't him being spoiled what is it?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 4:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at three months old you cant spoil him, but at like 8 -12 months yes cause a child that age knows what to do to get a mothers attention for what they want. so age plays some role but in this case no you cant spoil him.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No, it's impossible to spoil and infant with love / holding them all the time. He's an infant. That's just how they are.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I fully 100% agree with craftingmama... you can NOT spoil your baby...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Try a carrier. If that's uncomfortable, hold him. He's an infant and needs the tactile stimulation.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• no... he sounds like a normal baby to me
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thought: He's spent the last 9 months listening to the sounds of your body, especially your heartbeat. He's had 3 months of "deprivation" from all those comforting noises. He's trying to sort this new, scary world out. He NEEDS you, and others, to hold him as often as you possibly can to reassure him that all is good in his world. That's the long answer.

Short answer: No, you're not spoiling him at all.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• nope u cant!! its just how babies are! time to by a baby carrier!! my dd loved her's i just carried her everywhere i went!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There is no such thing as a "spoiled" baby. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. It is normal and healthy development for an infant to want to be held 24 hours a day. It is important for the baby to make that bond with you and other caregivers, so they can grow up emotionally secure and healthy.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I dont think you can spoil a baby, in the sense of the term but...I do think that babies get used to something and that's just how they are most comfortable. Not necessarily spoiling but routine.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 4:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Can't spoil a baby. He apparently needs the closeness of Mama. And it does tend to go in phases. My second child was more the "I want Mommy all the time" baby. I ended up getting a Moby wrap which was a total lifesaver. She was happy to be close and snuggly and I was still able to have both my hands to get work done. Babies are just needy little creatures, some more so than others. By reassuring him now (i.e. holding him, picking him up when he cries), you're helping to show him that the big scary world isn't so scary. And believe it or not, by holding him when he feels he needs it now, you're helping to create a more independent confident child in the future. Good luck! I know it can be frustrating with a little one who wants Mama ALL the time, but someday you'll miss it. =)
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 4:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011